UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

OK everyone... here goes...

Because the Meet for 2009 did not go ahead due to lack of numbers and illness as wll as the credit crunch I have decided to open up this new topic for 2010.

The venue chosen for 2009 was Lincoln and a set itinerary was almost in place and this can easily be finalised. However, we need to decide upon dates and whether we should attend in April or any month through to September. We should allow for dates that would maximise attendance and give everyone a good chance of getting there.

If anyone has a different idea as opposed to Lincoln feel free to drop that in here but do bare in mind we are looking for places that are affordable, easy to get to and they should have minimal travelling to the sites chosen.

So, now it is over to you once again. Maybe with the crunch seemingly getting out of the way a tad it may help us all a bit more.

Fire away.....

Edited by Augustus Caesar

Count me in, AC.

How far along Hadrian's Wall did you get? Housesteads, if memory serves. What about Haltwhsitle (or even Carlisle) as a base, and visiting Carvoran, Birdoswald, Willowford Crossing, Castle Nick, Poltross Burn MC, Pike Hill signal tower, Hare Hill, etc. If Carlisle, maybe even Tullie House? Anyone on the way home could even do Chollerford Bridge?

Is there much along the Antonine Wall, does anyone know?

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Hi Ghost

We got to Houseteads and Vindolanda as well as Corbridge plus one or two sites local to the eastern end of the Wall. It was a tight itinerary but it worked extremely well.

I would have to consider the terrain when looking at places to visit as some members may not be up to the hill walking and steepish clims at some areas. I tested my wife, Hadriana (cool name huh?), at The Wall and she just about managed it although she found it tough. The Augusta apparently found Housestead a little tough too so we definately have to be careful. Timings would be kept quite tight too depending on our mode of travel along the Wall and our starting points.

All that assumes a Meet on the Wall though which is by no means certain as members may wish to do Lincoln or even another area. I won't mind which. I merely state I am prepared to do another Wall trip if the majority wish it.

The Antonine Wall is virtually all gone except for areas of mounds where the Wall once stood. It was built of turf and tmbe originally and apparently some of the best areas are around Falkirk way or at least close to it. I cannot vouch too strongly for that having not been up there but I hve it from locals and my brother who did visit that this was the case. Take a look in Hadrian's Wall by Brian Dobson and David Breeze to see what still stands. It is a very detailed book as you know but it has a full section dedicated to that Wall.

Come on everyone... where's your ideas?

I suspected that was the case with the Antonine Wall.

Of the sites I mentioned, only Castle Nick is inaccessible from the road. Willowford Crossing is just less than a Roman mile down a very good track, (and Chollerford Crossing is less than that down a good footpath.) The rest are within 100m of the road. Nothing like the climb up to Housesteads, fortunately.

The trouble with Roman sites is that they're not nicely housed close together once you get away from the wall. The only other possibility I thought of, and again I know nothing about it, is (are?) the Saxon Shore Defences. Anyone know if there's much to see down there? Caerleon (http://www.caerleon.net/intro/) also has a few bits and bobs close together by the looks of it.

On top of Caerleon and the Saxon Shore, I have a little list of sites I'd quite like to visit one day, but to my knowledge, they're just one site with nothing else in the area.

Silchester

Maryport (http://www.senhousemuseum.co.uk/)

Coventry (Lunt Fort)

I'm sure I remember there's another good one in South Wales, but I can't bring to mind what it's called

If we did London, would there be much to see? All I know of is the mithraeum at Temple, a bit of wall near Tower Bridge tube station, and some excellent stuff at the Museum of London.

I'm sure I remember there's another good one in South Wales, but I can't bring to mind what it's called

Do you mean Caerwent?

Do you mean Caerwent?

I've remembered what it's called now - 'Caerwent'. I knew it'd come to me in the end ! :clapping:

Seriously though, thanks for that, Sonic. Have you been? Any good?

London has a few more bits dotted about but it takes a fair walk between each one. However, there are other bits where the public are not allowed to enter but which could be opened up for a small party I hear. Just how true that is I do not know. One suspects that this may be for paid private viewing or TV/documentary filming etc.

I have tried to visit as much of Roman London as I could but it isn't easy to find info on these places. So help from anothe member may be useful here.

If memory serves me correctly there is a part of a wall with medieval wall built on top near the London Gaol museum which is near to the Golden Hind??? There is only a small section to see but you know it is Roman because of its structure as opposed to the later medieval.

The London Museum has a very good Roman collection but is smaller than that of the British Museum which has a lot of the marble heads on show for example as well as plenty other items. The Vindolanda Tablets are there too but with a lottery bid that has just been won the Tablets will return to Vindolanda within two years from now. The former museum has a section of wall to see outside and also a Roman head of a woman which was reconstructed from a skull for a TV documentary a few years back. It has a wooden bucket system for the collection of water from a well and a few decent models etc showing Londinium as it may have been in Roman times.

This museum is also being updated with new sections from last year and with more Roman stuff being put on display by next year I believe.

The good things about London are the transport, food and drink and places to stay. You will find something you will be satisfied with without a doubt.

Whether or not members would choose this as a place to visit though is up to them. We shall wait and see what they come up with...

I think we shoiuld go with Ghost's idea of Lincoln - he has done the groundwork, and so all we need to do is arrange a date and book the accommodation.

. . . . of the British Museum which has a lot of the marble heads on show for example as well as plenty other items. . . .

I've been there twice since the [utterly fantastic] Hadrian Exhibition, and still I forget to mention it! I think my memory isn't what it was. I'll tell you something else as well . . my memory isn't what it was.

I think we shoiuld go with Ghost's idea of Lincoln - he has done the groundwork, and so all we need to do is arrange a date and book the accommodation.

I must admit I do agree with you on this NN so my vote is for Lincoln.... :)

. . . . of the British Museum which has a lot of the marble heads on show for example as well as plenty other items. . . .

I've been there twice since the [utterly fantastic] Hadrian Exhibition, and still I forget to mention it! I think my memory isn't what it was. I'll tell you something else as well . . my memory isn't what it was.

Ahhh..... the Hadrian Exhibition... absolutely awesome!! Doubt we'll see that again in our lifetime but I hope so... I'd go back tomorrow!! :clapping:

I would only be able to afford a trip to London - the fruits of minimum wage are, you see, quite minimal... If all goes to plan with my funding applications etc., I should be doing an MA in Classics at UCL by September 2010, so you guys should, in theory, be on my doorstep.

I propose we do two trips: one up North in Easter; and one in the South in September...?

Any thoughts?

Also, apologies for my recent absence from UNRV - I have been in the process of moving house, starting a job and applying for Master's programs.

A good plan, WW. One tiny drawback, however, is that it would leave us back at square 1. I.e., where should we go 'down south'? (Assuming you read Lincoln as being 'up north', which AC may disagree with.)

Well, we've got the Roman stuff listed earlier in this thread, anything else you know of, WW? Anything maybe a short train ride out?

Aha... it's good to see you back WW. Hope all is well and the study takes off for you...

OK... it seems Lincoln is still a good shout but whether an Easter trip is good for us financially is another thing. We will do our best. Of course, trying to get two trips in one year may not be easy for any overseas members wanting to come over. Anyway, I am sure we will work something out.

London? Well, there is a fair few things around the southern region that can be visited and I know you, WW, mentioned Fishbourne Palace when we were all in York. Would that be a possibility? I do not remember if you said you had been before so there's a question for you... have you?

Lincoln - up north? Certainly not. Ghost you are correct. Even Manchester is not 'up north' as the Londoners tend to think. (My mother was a Londoner before some have a dig at me!!). You need to be nearer Hartlepool to class anything from there as 'up north'. Us Geordies are fiercely proud of being northerners but a true Geordie is from Newcastle and nowhere else. Anyway, I have nothing against other regions - far from it - I like to hear different dialects and meet folk from different regions. Our local 'enemy' if you like are those called the mackems. Work that one out!!

Come back with some thoughts WW on a southern venue and we'll see if one or both (Lincoln or south) are taken up.