UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
guy

Coins found at Jewish Temple site

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...xhibition_N.htm

JERUSALEM
Edited by guy

Guy - sorry, I double posted on this. Should've checked out the new postings first.

J

Jason: I appreciate your shared interest and input on this topic.

One of my goals for 2010 will be to increase my knowledge about Ancient coins (without spending any money on coin purchases :thumbsup: ).

guy also known as gaius

Guy - sorry, I double posted on this. Should've checked out the new postings first.

J

Jason: I appreciate your shared interest and input on this topic.

One of my goals for 2010 will be to increase my knowledge about Ancient coins (without spending any money on coin purchases :thumbsup: ).

guy also known as gaius

The burned coin shown in the linked article seems to be the reverse of a bronze Chatzi (= half a Shekel, i.e. two drachmas) from the year 4 of the rebellion (69-70 AD), depicting a seven-branched palm (an allegory of the menorah) flanked by two baskets.

It seems Israel has recently had significant problems with looters and metal detectorists.

The burned coin shown in the linked article seems to be the reverse of a bronze Chatzi (= half a Shekel, i.e. two drachmas) from the year 4 of the rebellion (69-70 AD), depicting a seven-branched palm (an allegory of the menorah) flanked by two baskets.

Sylla: Good pick up. :thumbsup: I couldn't make out the details.

I did find some similar coins from the later Bar Kokhba revolt (AD 132-136):

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsourc...condRevolt.html

An interesting quote from the article:

"The 24-26mm. bronzes of Bar Kochba picture a grape vine leaf and 7-branched palm tree. The seven branches of the palm tree could well allude to the holy 7-branched Temple Menorah, that was considered too holy to depict on coins (with the isolated exception of the small bronze Menorah coin issued in the last desperate days of the reign of Antigonus Mattathias)."

Another example from the Bar Kokhba revolt:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?searc...p;view_mode=1#4

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Sylla: Good pick up. :thumbsup: I couldn't make out the details.

I did find some similar coins from the later Bar Kokhba revolt (AD 132-136):

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsourc...condRevolt.html

An interesting quote from the article:

"The 24-26mm. bronzes of Bar Kochba picture a grape vine leaf and 7-branched palm tree. The seven branches of the palm tree could well allude to the holy 7-branched Temple Menorah, that was considered too holy to depict on coins (with the isolated exception of the small bronze Menorah coin issued in the last desperate days of the reign of Antigonus Mattathias)."

Another example from the Bar Kokhba revolt:

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?searc...p;view_mode=1#4

guy also known as gaius

Usus autem sum, ne in aliquo fallam carissimam mihi familiaritatem tuam, praecipue libris ex bibliotheca Ulpia, aetate mea thermis Diocletianis, et item ex domo Tiberiana, usus etiam [ex] regestis scribarum porticus porphyreticae, actis etiam senatus ac populi. 2 et quoniam me ad colligenda talis viri gesta ephemeris Turduli Gallicani plurimum invit, viri honestissimi ac sincerissimi, beneficium amici senis tacere non debui. 3 Cn. Pompeium, tribus fulgentem triumphis belli piratici, belli Sertoriani, belli Mithridatici multarumque rerum gestarum maiestate sublimem, quis tandem nosset, nisi eum Marcus Tullius et Titus Livius in litteras rettulissent? 4 Publ<i>um Scipionem Afric<an>um, immo Scipiones omnes, seu Lucios seu Nasicas, nonne tenebrae possiderent ac tegerent, nisi commendatores eorum historici nobiles atque ignobiles extitissent? 5 longum est omnia persequi, quae ad exemplum huiusce modi etiam nobis tacentibus usurpanda sunt. 6 illud tantum contestatum volo me et rem scripsisse, quam, si quis voluerit, honestius eloquio celsiore demonstret, et mihi quidem id animi fuit, 6 <ut> non Sallustios, Livios, Tacito<s>, Trogos atque omnes disertissimos imitarer viros in vita principum et temporibus disserendis, sed Marium Maximum, Suetonium Tranquillum, Fabium Marcellinum, Gargilium Martialem, Iulium Capitolinum, Aelium Lampridium ceterosque, qui haec et talia non tam diserte quam vere memoriae tradiderunt. 8 sum enim unus ex curiosis, quod infi[ni]t<i>as ire non possum, ince<n>dentibus vobis, qui, cum multa sciatis, scire multo plura cupitis. 9 et ne diutius ea, quae ad meum consilium pertinent, loquar, magnum et praeclarum principem et qualem historia nostra non novit, arripiam. Edited by sylla