UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Conquests: Italy

Viggen

This is an excellent review, though I'll skip the book itself since it's not my area of interest.

I agree with the central premise that the Italian conquests were the critical first juncture, though I was not aware that was ever in dispute. Maybe it's just for the general public who perhaps cannot name any other Roman campaigns aside from Caesar's ...?

This is an excellent review, though I'll skip the book itself since it's not my area of interest.

I agree with the central premise that the Italian conquests were the critical first juncture, though I was not aware that was ever in dispute. Maybe it's just for the general public who perhaps cannot name any other Roman campaigns aside from Caesar's ...?

Ursus - Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. The statement above is introductory rather than addressing a point of dispute.

Good to see this series is off to a flying start - mine is still en route with Amazon. Look for another around the end of the month in the same series - Roman Conquests: Greece and Macedon which basically does the Macedonian wars while trying to integrate the feuds of the contemporary Greek city-states and confederations. Mostly written from the viewpoint of Philip V and Rome's generals, it addresses the basic question - how do you get a Roman army into Macedonia? (And what to do if there is a phalanx or two in the way)

Pics are by Johnny Shumate, with whom readers of ancient warfare Magazine will be familiar.

• 3 months later...