UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
dpimental

Languages of the Roman Empire

Does anyone know of where I can get a breakdown of Languages of the Roman Empire / Republic? I would like it broken down by provice or even by nation?

I am interested in the different languages used in inscriptions throughout the empire, which langages were in use and to what extent?

Does anyone know of where I can get a breakdown of Languages of the Roman Empire / Republic? I would like it broken down by provice or even by nation?

I am interested in the different languages used in inscriptions throughout the empire, which langages were in use and to what extent?

Mary Beard's book on Pompeii cites graffiti written in several languages. My information comes from reading a review of the book here:

http://web.mac.com/blaricci/iWeb/Site%2013/My%20Links.html

St. Augustine mentions that Punic was still spoken in the hinterlands of his province in the late 4th century. Basque seems to have survived the Roman conquest of Gaul and Hispania.

Whether or not these language were expressed in inscriptions is another story. I'm looking forward to replies to your post.

Edited by Ludovicus

As far as I know in the west the local languages has no alphabet so the only inscription are in Latin. In the east the common language was Greek and so most the inscriptions are in this language, the only exception I know of is Judea where there were tomb inscription in Hebrew and Aramic (like the tomb of Caiaphas).

As far as I know in the west the local languages has no alphabet so the only inscription are in Latin. In the east the common language was Greek and so most the inscriptions are in this language, the only exception I know of is Judea where there were tomb inscription in Hebrew and Aramic (like the tomb of Caiaphas).

I'm quite sure that there were local scripts in the west (I believe my Latin professor once told me that, but I'm not quite sure).

I also believe that I've seen some native scripts from Africa at Glyptoteket in Copenhagen, I'll try to confirm that tomorrow.

Usus autem sum, ne in aliquo fallam carissimam mihi familiaritatem tuam, praecipue libris ex bibliotheca Ulpia, aetate mea thermis Diocletianis, et item ex domo Tiberiana, usus etiam [ex] regestis scribarum porticus porphyreticae, actis etiam senatus ac populi. 2 et quoniam me ad colligenda talis viri gesta ephemeris Turduli Gallicani plurimum invit, viri honestissimi ac sincerissimi, beneficium amici senis tacere non debui. 3 Cn. Pompeium, tribus fulgentem triumphis belli piratici, belli Sertoriani, belli Mithridatici multarumque rerum gestarum maiestate sublimem, quis tandem nosset, nisi eum Marcus Tullius et Titus Livius in litteras rettulissent? 4 Publ<i>um Scipionem Afric<an>um, immo Scipiones omnes, seu Lucios seu Nasicas, nonne tenebrae possiderent ac tegerent, nisi commendatores eorum historici nobiles atque ignobiles extitissent? 5 longum est omnia persequi, quae ad exemplum huiusce modi etiam nobis tacentibus usurpanda sunt. 6 illud tantum contestatum volo me et rem scripsisse, quam, si quis voluerit, honestius eloquio celsiore demonstret, et mihi quidem id animi fuit, 6 <ut> non Sallustios, Livios, Tacito<s>, Trogos atque omnes disertissimos imitarer viros in vita principum et temporibus disserendis, sed Marium Maximum, Suetonium Tranquillum, Fabium Marcellinum, Gargilium Martialem, Iulium Capitolinum, Aelium Lampridium ceterosque, qui haec et talia non tam diserte quam vere memoriae tradiderunt. 8 sum enim unus ex curiosis, quod infi[ni]t<i>as ire non possum, ince<n>dentibus vobis, qui, cum multa sciatis, scire multo plura cupitis. 9 et ne diutius ea, quae ad meum consilium pertinent, loquar, magnum et praeclarum principem et qualem historia nostra non novit, arripiam.

Edited by sylla

In several cases the local languages added new words to Latin, e.g.

carrus, from carra; originally "a two-wheeled Celtic war chariot".

I did unfortunately forget to take a photo of it but there is, as I though, a very strange scrips on tombstones in Africa around 130 ad. I have absolutely no idea what it might be, it looks more like modern Arabic than any other writing system I am aware of (it is however, far far away from my own subjects).

The Irish had a writing system known as Ogham which was carved into the sides of stone slabs. This script was extant in the 5th century and possibly earlier, and stones have been found in some Roman towns, notably Silchester. Wether or not this - like runes - was an adaptation of the Roman alphabet I do not know.

The Irish had a writing system known as Ogham which was carved into the sides of stone slabs. This script was extant in the 5th century and possibly earlier, and stones have been found in some Roman towns, notably Silchester. Wether or not this - like runes - was an adaptation of the Roman alphabet I do not know.

Usus autem sum, ne in aliquo fallam carissimam mihi familiaritatem tuam, praecipue libris ex bibliotheca Ulpia, aetate mea thermis Diocletianis, et item ex domo Tiberiana, usus etiam [ex] regestis scribarum porticus porphyreticae, actis etiam senatus ac populi. 2 et quoniam me ad colligenda talis viri gesta ephemeris Turduli Gallicani plurimum invit, viri honestissimi ac sincerissimi, beneficium amici senis tacere non debui. 3 Cn. Pompeium, tribus fulgentem triumphis belli piratici, belli Sertoriani, belli Mithridatici multarumque rerum gestarum maiestate sublimem, quis tandem nosset, nisi eum Marcus Tullius et Titus Livius in litteras rettulissent? 4 Publ<i>um Scipionem Afric<an>um, immo Scipiones omnes, seu Lucios seu Nasicas, nonne tenebrae possiderent ac tegerent, nisi commendatores eorum historici nobiles atque ignobiles extitissent? 5 longum est omnia persequi, quae ad exemplum huiusce modi etiam nobis tacentibus usurpanda sunt. 6 illud tantum contestatum volo me et rem scripsisse, quam, si quis voluerit, honestius eloquio celsiore demonstret, et mihi quidem id animi fuit, 6 <ut> non Sallustios, Livios, Tacito<s>, Trogos atque omnes disertissimos imitarer viros in vita principum et temporibus disserendis, sed Marium Maximum, Suetonium Tranquillum, Fabium Marcellinum, Gargilium Martialem, Iulium Capitolinum, Aelium Lampridium ceterosque, qui haec et talia non tam diserte quam vere memoriae tradiderunt. 8 sum enim unus ex curiosis, quod infi[ni]t<i>as ire non possum, ince<n>dentibus vobis, qui, cum multa sciatis, scire multo plura cupitis. 9 et ne diutius ea, quae ad meum consilium pertinent, loquar, magnum et praeclarum principem et qualem historia nostra non novit, arripiam.

Edited by sylla

- Akkadian, an ancient semitic language that originated in Mesopotamia, apparently survived until 100 AD (it used the cuneiform writing system).

- Dacian, an ancient language from the Balkans, is thought to have survived until around 500 AD (no inscriptions survive though).

- Aquitanian, spoken in southwestern Gaul and northern Spain, is thought to be related to Basque (some toponymical evidence has been found in ancient Latin texts).

- Galatian, a Celtic language spoken Asia Minor, survived at least until 400 AD (again, mostly toponymical traces in ancient texts have survived).

Edited by Aurelia

- Dacian, an ancient language from the Balkans, is thought to have survived until around 500 AD (no inscriptions survive though).
Some Dacian inscriptions.

I stand corrected.

There is a Roman-era painting in the cave tomb of an upper class family at Edessa in Orshoene, in Syria. It contains an inscription in Syriac. The image can be found on page 156 in, "The Roman World, Cultural Atlas of the World," Tim Cornell & John Matthews, Stonehenge Press. The end notes explain that the painting was originally published by J.B. Segal in "Edessa, the Blessed City.

Here's a Roman-era mosaic, from the cover of "Edessa, the Blessed City," with Syriac inscription.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/09...7073&sr=8-1

Edited by Ludovicus