UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
guy

Any Study Goals for 2010?

I'm hoping to use 2010 to find time to further delve into three subjects of potential interest in Ancient (and not so ancient) history.

This year's goal to learn more about the GrecoRoman philosophers was a bust since I found much of the subject matter so dry and uninspiring. :unsure:

I read Ian Hughes' book Belisarius: The last Roman General. I enjoyed the book and it inspired me to read more about late antiquity and the early Middle Ages. I want to learn more about the role in history of the various peoples that became important during the fall of Rome and later transformation of Europe, including the Visigoths, Franks, Vandals, etc.

Also, I want to learn about numismatics (coins and medals) of the Ancient world...without spending too much money on buying coins.

Finally, although I find Greek philosophy too abstruse and Greek literature too boring, I do enjoy learning about the many personalities that played a role in Greek history (especially military history), including Pericles, Epaminondas, and Alexander the Great.

I was wondering whether anyone else made goals for areas of study in the new year.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

This year's goal to learn more about the GrecoRoman philosophers was a bust since I found much of the subject matter so dry and uninspiring. :unsure:

I hear you. Thank goodness I am not the only one who feels that way. :P

I wouldn't mind reading more about the Mid East from Ancient Babylon through Sassanid Persia. Beyond that I have no study goals for the ancient world.

I just invested

I hear you. Thank goodness I am not the only one who feels that way. :P

That makes three of us! :P

I read Ian Hughes' book Belisarius: The last Roman General. I enjoyed the book and it inspired me to read more about late antiquity and the early Middle Ages. I want to learn more about the role in history of the various peoples that became important during the fall of Rome and later transformation of Europe, including the Visigoths, Franks, Vandals, etc.

Thank you. That's one of the greatest compliments I can think of.

Finally, although I find Greek philosophy too abstruse and Greek literature too boring, I do enjoy learning about the many personalities that played a role in Greek history (especially military history), including Pericles, Epaminondas, and Alexander the Great.

In January I intend to start the research for book 3 (yet another on Late Rome). That will take up most (if not all) of the year.

However, as part of my long-term projects I wouldn't mind delving into Greek history. As you say Pericles, Epaminondas etc. are extremely interesting individuals. Oh dear: I wonder if my editor's reading this? .... :unsure:

I just invested
Edited by sonic

In January I intend to start the research for book 3 (yet another on Late Rome). That will take up most (if not all) of the year.

However, as part of my long-term projects I wouldn't mind delving into Greek history. As you say Pericles, Epaminondas etc. are extremely interesting individuals. Oh dear: I wonder if my editor's reading this? .... :unsure:

How's it going with the second book? When can we expect to find it in the book stores?

(I'll come back with my goals for -10 as soon as I get to know if I get my scholarship)

However, as part of my long-term projects I wouldn't mind delving into Greek history. As you say Pericles, Epaminondas etc. are extremely interesting individuals. Oh dear: I wonder if my editor's reading this? .... :whistling:

How's it going with the second book? When can we expect to find it in the book stores?

The script for 'Stilicho' went to the publisher at the end of August. I've been told to expect it out in June/July next year.

(I'll come back with my goals for -10 as soon as I get to know if I get my scholarship)

What's the Scholarship you've gone for?

The script for 'Stilicho' went to the publisher at the end of August. I've been told to expect it out in June/July next year.

What's the Scholarship you've gone for?

Same one as last year but for Athens. I should have a fair chance to get it - we'll know next week or so.

As if I wasn't masochistic enough learning Dutch, I'm planning to move on to German next year. :whistling: Most Romance languages are covered already so...

As for ancient history, no specific goals, whatever comes my way as usual.

Well, it seems like I'm going to be in Athens for the first three months next year.

Edited by Klingan

Well, it seems like I'm going to be in Athens for the first three months next year.

You lucky, lucky ..... person! :whistling:

I am really happy for you (and very envious!). :thumbsup:

You are very fortunate to be able to spend an extended time to study a subject closeup and to enjoy life. Not since college have I been so lucky. Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy.

guy also known as gaius

Dumb question time: Does the degree include a course on old French, or is this an additional module from elsewhere in the OU?

Good luck and all the best in the degree.

Ian

The O.U. Degree course doesn't include a course in Old French, but hopefully I might be able to further build on my studies at either Lancaster or Manchester universities. Mind you, this is all planning years ahead!

I'm looking forward to your book! It certainly will be on my "must buy" list for 2010.

guy also known as gaius

As if I wasn't masochistic enough learning Dutch, I'm planning to move on to German next year. ;) Most Romance languages are covered already so...

Aurelia: Are you from Belgium? Isn't Dutch already mandatory there?

Ik hou van Amsterdam. B)

guy also known as gaius

Flemish/Dutch is not mandatory in all of Belgium : it is in Flanders and in Brussels but in Wallonia you may have German or English take it's place, with Flemish/Dutch possibly going as third langage for those who have such an option. But a Belgian student in Eupen (former german land taken in 1918 as war reparations) will study german as first language, french as second language and english as third for exemple, with maybe spanish or italian as fourth language (if the option exist) or ancient languages (latin and, possibly ancient greek) in lieu of the fourth modern language.

To get back on topic, I don't really have any studies plans for the new year since I've just bought a new appartement (I'm signing the last papers on december the 15th) and that will take a lot of my time. Also I might change job, and this does also contribute to make my future unplanable. Yet I've got so many books in my library that I still have to read that I've got an idea of the main topics I might work upon : ancient greek land warfare, especially command and logistics; ancient greek naval warfare; ancient roman land warfare, especially in what relates to demography in the republican era; late empire religious dynamics, especially (but not only) around the time of Julian II the philosopher; roman rural daily life; greek women's condition; athenian political institutions; hellenistic history.

A tall order, with a lot of different topics, and I'm not sure I'll finish them all by the end of 2010, especially with my novels' reading rate, but it'll be attempted B)