UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Any Study Goals for 2010?

guy

As if I wasn't masochistic enough learning Dutch, I'm planning to move on to German next year. ;) Most Romance languages are covered already so...

Aurelia: Are you from Belgium? Isn't Dutch already mandatory there?

Ik hou van Amsterdam. B)

guy also known as gaius

I live in Belgium but I was not born here. I'm originally from Brazil so my mother tongue is Portuguese.

As BH has already explained Dutch is not always mandatory in French-speaking Belgian schools. I actually learned Dutch after taking an intensive language course shortly after I arrived in the country in 2001.

• 4 months later...
Finally, although I find Greek philosophy too abstruse and Greek literature too boring, I do enjoy learning about the many personalities that played a role in Greek history (especially military history), including Pericles, Epaminondas, and Alexander the Great.

No surprise there! IMHO, One wonders what exactly the point of Greek philosophy is. Sit around questioning the nature of existence, questioning the meaning of life, questioning things of no practical meaning. It gets you no where and benefits no one. If these Greek philosophers had so much doubt, why not just be done with it and throw yourself in a Volcano (well, actually, one of them did! Sadly, the rest did not follow suite). It's better to focus on the practical aspects. Too much Greek philosophy undermines good moral fiber and destroys the work ethic.

Edited by Brucecarson

• 1 month later...
One wonders what exactly the point of Greek philosophy is. Sit around questioning the nature of existence, questioning the meaning of life, questioning things of no practical meaning. It gets you no where and benefits no one. If these Greek philosophers had so much doubt, why not just be done with it and throw yourself in a Volcano (well, actually, one of them did! Sadly, the rest did not follow suite). It's better to focus on the practical aspects. Too much Greek philosophy undermines good moral fiber and destroys the work ethic.

I have seen this in action, sadly. I know (in the online sense of the word) rabid Hellenophiles who do little else than debate Platonic philosophy, and some of them seem to have trouble coming down from the clouds long enough to hold down a job in the real world ....

• 6 months later...

A year later, have you completed your 2010 goals?

What are your goals for 2011?

(If I had goals for 2010 they got lost by having to learn a new career. My personal goals for 2011 is to advance further in work with more technical courses. I have no Romanophile related goals other than to read any especially interesting books that may come out).

I'm still getting on with German and have managed to advance to intermediate level. Not sure if I'll be able to keep this up once I start working in January though. No concrete plans for 2011 as of yet - maybe some job-related course will come up at some point.

My main goal for 2011 is to raise my GPA and do better than I did last semester, which was good enough that I could transfer into a higher degree but with some wiggle room in case I did terribly in a unit later on but I'm my harshest critic. I won't rest until it's all HD's (high distinctions)