UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
barca

Origins of Deism and conception of God

The Stoics described a God of Nature, or of the Cosmos. Is that not similar to the Deists' description of God? Can Deism be considered an 18th century manifestation of Greco-Roman philosophy?

I think it had more to do with Enlightenment intellectualism - the idea of a clockwork universe (cf Newton's laws), with a clockmaker god that became distant once his creation was wound into motion.

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

It shouldn't be surprising that Deism was heavily influenced by Roman and Greek Philosophy and Mythology-the ones who created modern Deism were well read philosophies who studied ancient cultures and philosophies.Particularly, they were influenced by the Greek and Roman philosophy.

As a Deist(who's technically a Catholic-but I'm not devout and actually doubt my birth Religion), however I can say most Deists don't necessarily follow the beliefs and lifestyles of the Philosophes.Most of us probably don't know any of the Roman and Greek influences and pretty much are only Deist in the literal definition of the word-we don't believed systemized religion and we all believe GOD DOES NOT CARE ABOUT US NOR DOES HE INTERFERE WITH OUR LIVES.

Only the hardcore ones study Deism's beliefs as set by the Philosophes and deeply study Roman and Greek philosophy.