UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Klingan

Spelling of Caisar

It is completely accepted that Claudius tried to revive a more conservative spelling form, including Caesar spelled as Caisar, but what sources do we have for this (not including inscriptions)? And when did he begin to promote this alternative spelling and for how long into the reign of Nero were the new spelling used? I've seen an official inscription from 46 A.D. still using the orthodox from Caesar.

I believe the rhetorician Quintilian may be at least one source you're looking for. In his Institutio Oratoria (Book I, Chapter 7), Quintilian wrote of Claudius' spelling reforms, stating: "It was not without reason that Claudius introduced the Aeolic digamma..." You can read the entire English translated passage at Bill Thayer's LacusCurtius site (I.7.26)

I know that doesn't answer your entire question, but I suppose it's a start.

Interestingly, Quintilian continues in that passage to comment on the use of the letter "C" as an abbreviation for the name "Gaius"

I believe the rhetorician Quintilian may be at least one source you're looking for. In his Institutio Oratoria (Book I, Chapter 7), Quintilian wrote of Claudius' spelling reforms, stating: "It was not without reason that Claudius introduced the Aeolic digamma..." You can read the entire English translated passage at Bill Thayer's LacusCurtius site (I.7.26)

Interestingly, Quintilian continues in that passage to comment on the use of the letter "C" as an abbreviation for the name "Gaius" – which addresses another spelling question that has come up more than once here at UNRV.

-- Nephele

There's also the book by Claudius mentioned here - (Life by Suetonius 41)

'Besides this he invented three new letters and added them to the alphabet, maintaining that they were greatly needed; he published a book on their theory when he was still in private life, and when he became emperor had no difficulty in bringing about their general use. These characters may still be seen in numerous books, in the daily gazette, and in inscriptions on public buildings.'

This book of his may have been the original source. We see from the rest of the quote that the letters lasted until the time that Suetonius was writing, so well beyond the reign of Nero.

Edited by Maty

Interestingly, Quintilian continues in that passage to comment on the use of the letter "C" as an abbreviation for the name "Gaius"

It's is also, as you say, interesting to notice that the new spelling obviously was used for so long. I have, however, never seen Caesar spelt as Caisar after Claudius?

I did manage to find this inscription from Hadrianus time:

Imp(eratori) / Caisari(!) / Traiano / Hadriano / Aug(usto) Iovi / Olym[p]io / conditori / col(oniae) (AE 1938, 0140)

But since it's came from Thracia it's could be simply a spelling mistake rather than return to the conservative spelling form.

It's is also, as you say, interesting to notice that the new spelling obviously was used for so long. I have, however, never seen Caesar spelt as Caisar after Claudius?

I did manage to find this inscription from Hadrianus time:

Imp(eratori) / Caisari(!) / Traiano / Hadriano / Aug(usto) Iovi / Olym[p]io / conditori / col(oniae) (AE 1938, 0140)

But since it's came from Thracia it's could be simply a spelling mistake rather than return to the conservative spelling form.

That is very, very interesting. I can't imagine how they could misspell it like that by mistake. I wonder if they modelled the new monument on an older Claudian one and simply copied chunks of the text.