UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
guy

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Some really great news for us Spartacus: Blood & Sand fans!

We're happy to hear that Spartacus star Andy Whitfield, 35, has been given a clean bill of health and is already training for his return to the set of the hit Starz series.

-- Nephele

I cannot imagine the gamut of emotions he must have experienced over the last year: from the thrill of being a lead actor of a successful television series to the emotional devastation of having to face a potentially lethal disease.

Best wishes, for sure :romansoldier:

guy also known as gaius

And on an encouraging note, on Amazon it went down from$50+ to just over $40. Excellent. Very tempting.

And on an encouraging note, on Amazon it went down from$50+ to just over $40. Excellent. Very tempting.

I really need to give this show another chance as it seems to be getting fairly rave reviews from all quarters. (The problem is that I really just want Crassus to kick his ass) :unsure:

I really need to give this show another chance as it seems to be getting fairly rave reviews from all quarters. (The problem is that I really just want Crassus to kick his ass) :unsure:

I do just about all my online DVD shopping with DVD Planet, which often has better prices than Amazon.

PP, how much of the series did you see already? I think it gets better as it progresses. It certainly gets more shocking. (And I thought I was already pretty shock-proof.) The characters are very interesting, which probably is what makes the series.

-- Nephele

I do just about all my online DVD shopping with DVD Planet, which often has better prices than Amazon.

PP, how much of the series did you see already? I think it gets better as it progresses. It certainly gets more shocking. (And I thought I was already pretty shock-proof.) The characters are very interesting, which probably is what makes the series.

-- Nephele

I only watched the first episode.

I only watched the first episode.

Then you've definitely missed the best. Especially those episodes directed by Michael Hurst. They had devilish plot twists that defied guessing how the episode would end.

-- Nephele

Guys don't buy this just torrent it, its faster and free.

...and once everyone does that, nothing will be produced anymore, because you know, some things do cost money...

I hate torrent anyway.

Ok, I pre-ordered "Spartacus." There will be a review when in Autumn it finally ships.

Is there enough interest in the series to warrant it's own subfolder, a la HBO:Rome? Once the DVDs hit in September I'll be willing to seriously discuss it!

I really need to give this show another chance as it seems to be getting fairly rave reviews from all quarters. (The problem is that I really just want Crassus to kick his ass) :lol:

After seeing the first few episodes online, I wasn't too impressed either, and I didn't really go out of my way to watch the rest until my non-Romanophile friends raved about it and wanted to know more about the historical background. I'm glad I watched the rest -- it was really fun. That said, I can't wait for Crassus to show up!

I really need to give this show another chance as it seems to be getting fairly rave reviews from all quarters. (The problem is that I really just want Crassus to kick his ass) :lol:

After seeing the first few episodes online, I wasn't too impressed either, and I didn't really go out of my way to watch the rest until my non-Romanophile friends raved about it and wanted to know more about the historical background. I'm glad I watched the rest -- it was really fun. That said, I can't wait for Crassus to show up!

Yep, the series definitely got better as it progressed. For me, it started getting good when Batiatus was introduced, and got even better as we saw more and more of Batiatus. I liked Ilithyia too, because she was just such a loose cannon of a crazy bitch. You never knew what the hell she was going to do next.

-- Nephele

I've just watched the season finale of Spartacus and it was really good, the best episode of the series. I very nearly didn't bother sticking with the show after the first episode, I thought it was a bit silly!!! But I'm glad I did, it got better and more entertaining as it went on.

Is the next series gonna be a prequel?? I know it hits the UK in 2011 but that's all.

Anyone got a bit more info on it??

Looks like they are going to have to recast the lead actor: Link

In other news .... my DVD of the first season shipped today.

I read this in the newspaper one day this past weekend. I feel very sad for him and hope he can continue to fight the disease. My Mom has had lymphoma for the five years now and keeps bouncing back from chemo and radiation whenever a new "bad lymph node" appears. It's now been a year since the last round.