UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

guy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I don't seem to be able to access the video in Belgium. Every time I click on one of the episodes, it says that the content is unavailable. :D

Far from it -- the more accurate the portrayal of barbarians, the greater the glory for Rome, who knew how to use its intelligence about barbarian tribes for its brilliant strategy of divide and conquer.

Well put.

The second episode continues with its gratuitous and graphic fantasy violence. :D But it also continues with its more adult themes. ;)

Despite its faults, the series does emphasize the cultural divides and even animosities among Rome's conquered peoples. This series portrays a Thracian and Gallic rivalry despite their having a common "oppressor" in Rome.

I agree with UNRV's Cato that one of Rome's great strategies was the willingness and ability to exploit these differences among their subject peoples. Once again, Cato speaks the truth.

guy also known as gaius

• 4 weeks later...
I guess they are only showing the first two episodes for free on the web. I might get the Season DVD when it comes out. It was entertaining if nothing else.

I watched episodes 3 & 4 at two different websites, but they've since been pulled. Rather than continue searching the Web for episode 5 (and possibly pick up a virus) I've decided to subscribe to Starz for as long as the series runs. It'll be $15 per month, but I'm so hooked on the series now that I don't want to wait for the DVD.

Damn you, Starz.

-- Nephele

P.S. Actor John Hannah is absolutely outstanding in the role of Batiatus, the owner of the gladiatorial school.

By episode 3 I thought that I got used with the imagery of this series, the brutal episode 4 proved me wrong.

The face skinning scene? That was pretty hardcore.

-- Nephele

By episode 3 I thought that I got used with the imagery of this series, the brutal episode 4 proved me wrong.

-- Nephele

Yes, that scene and the fight before.

Despite the occasional slight nausea I like a lot this series and I believe that, so far, it's one of the most accurate descriptions of roman mind set that I've seen.

-- Nephele

Yes, that scene and the fight before.

Despite the occasional slight nausea I like a lot this series and I believe that, so far, it's one of the most accurate descriptions of roman mind set that I've seen.

I signed up for Starz on Demand today, and was delighted to get the "on Demand" part free for the first month. So it's costing me $11.95 instead of $15. Wheee. The guy I spoke to on the phone happened to be a huge Spartacus fan himself, and we got to talking about episodes 1 through 4.

-- Nephele

It just keeps getting better. I'm not usually one for gladiatorial scenes in movies, but I have to say that the gladiatorial scene in episode 5 had me absolutely riveted. Amazing, pulse-racing action all around -- with the usual surprises in this series that I've come to expect.

At the end of episode 5, when the credits were rolling, I noticed that this episode had been directed by the brilliant New Zealand actor and director, Michael Hurst. I hope they get Hurst to direct many more episodes.

-- Nephele

I did NOT like the ending of tonight's episode. :wine: Totally not what I expected.

I know! I didn't like last night's (episode 6) ending, either, but I have to say that I like the fact that every episode so far has been unpredictable. Also, actor John Hannah (Batiatus) continues to amaze with his performance. In last night's episode, he was scarier than any of his gladiators. He doesn't need to look like a gladiator (and he certainly doesn't) to intimidate -- you just know he's a bad dude to cross. He reminds me a little of Al Pacino, in Godfather II.

-- Nephele

I did NOT like the ending of tonight's episode. :( Totally not what I expected.

I know! I didn't like last night's (episode 6) ending, either, but I have to say that I like the fact that every episode so far has been unpredictable. Also, actor John Hannah (Batiatus) continues to amaze with his performance. In last night's episode, he was scarier than any of his gladiators. He doesn't need to look like a gladiator (and he certainly doesn't) to intimidate -- you just know he's a bad dude to cross. He reminds me a little of Al Pacino, in Godfather II.

-- Nephele

I, on the other hand, have a hard time accepting John Hannah in this role. All I see is his character in Four Weddings and a Funeral whose name escapes right now. When I saw him in that movie "Legion", I was surprised and thought he wasn't very good (well, the entire movie was awful). Now in Spartacus - maybe because his character IS so vile and it isn't the type I've seen him play before, that it is so disturbing....and creates exactly the effect that's required. Does that make sense?

After the two deaths last night, the other being Barcus (spoiler sorry), and knowing the ultimate outcome of this series; I don't think I'll continue to watch. I've had enough blood and writers trying to shock and push the limits.

EDIT by Nephele, to hide spoiler. (To read spoiler, click on Reply button.) :)

I, on the other hand, have a hard time accepting John Hannah in this role. All I see is his character in Four Weddings and a Funeral whose name escapes right now. When I saw him in that movie "Legion", I was surprised and thought he wasn't very good (well, the entire movie was awful). Now in Spartacus - maybe because his character IS so vile and it isn't the type I've seen him play before, that it is so disturbing....and creates exactly the effect that's required. Does that make sense?

After the two deaths last night, the other being Barcus (spoiler sorry), and knowing the ultimate outcome of this series; I don't think I'll continue to watch. I've had enough blood and writers trying to shock and push the limits.

I've seen John Hannah in the short-lived British drama series New Street Law, and he was quite good in that.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand is pretty shocking, but I do think the scripts are well written. As with Deadwood, I find the characters (even the bastards) multi-dimensional and compelling.

-- Nephele