UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Drums, Trumpets: Command, and Control

There

Has anyone recorded the sound of reproductions of these instruments?

Thanks.[/font]

As far as hearing what Roman musical instruments sounded like you could try Ancestral Sounds site as they have some MP3 samples you can download although they would probably prefer to sell you examples of their work.

I believe there is also a group called 'Synaulia' whose work is on You tube and elsewhere.

You may also wish to read Fulvia

Has anyone recorded the sound of reproductions of these instruments?

Thanks.[/font]

As far as hearing what Roman musical instruments sounded like you could try Ancestral Sounds site as they have some MP3 samples you can download although they would probably prefer to sell you examples of their work.

I believe there is also a group called 'Synaulia' whose work is on You tube and elsewhere.

You may also wish to read Fulvia

As far as I'm aware, the Romans did not use drums in music military or otherwise. I've no specific reference but I could well believe they regarded such instruments as 'barbaric' and thus unworthy of Roman attention, though that wouldn't stop them enjoying an act from the provinces, as a curiosity.

A lot is made of Roman signalling but you know, I very much doubt the Romans utilised any great complexity. Even though they were taught to fight in silence, the noise and cbhaos of battle mitigates against sophisticated signalling because it would inevitably get horribly misinterpreted and disaster ensues.

In any case, and much to the chagrin of the 'modernist' element of Roman history, I also doubt that the Romans made much of communication during battle. We know that they did, but it's the level to which they went to. It's clear from the accounts of Caesar that centuries were semi-independent, acting to an agreed plan. Caesar is recorded as often inspiring his men by fighting in the front rank, thus unable to command his army dynamically. We also know that senior officers were moving behind the ranks ensuring soldiers stayed in the line - Caesar records his attempts to keep men fighting in this way.

The reason I mention this is that trumpets would have had an audible but limited repetoire of sounds clearly understood by the legionaries. I'm not aware of any evidence whatsoever that the Romans used these instruments other than to synchronise previously agreed movements, or perhaps sound the attack or retreat.