UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Lindsey Davis

Nephele

Has anyone here read any of Lindsey Davis' Falco series? I'm currently reading Saturnalia and enjoying it. This is the first of her novels that I've tried, and I'm considering starting at the beginning of the Falco series now.

She includes a wonderful amount of Roman cultural detail in her Flavian dynasty era novels. I've sort of "adopted" this era of Rome as my favorite era for fiction writing, as Caroline Lawrence's young adult novels are also set in the era of the Flavian dynasty.

-- Nephele

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone here read any of Lindsey Davis' Falco series? I'm currently reading Saturnalia and enjoying it. This is the first of her novels that I've tried, and I'm considering starting at the beginning of the Falco series now.

She includes a wonderful amount of Roman cultural detail in her Flavian dynasty era novels. I've sort of "adopted" this era of Rome as my favorite era for fiction writing, as Caroline Lawrence's young adult novels are also set in the era of the Flavian dynasty.

-- Nephele

I've read almost all of Lindsey's books and enjoyed those I've had the time to finish - my current studies tend to blow a hole in the time available for pleasure reading. The books tend to have beleivable plots as are the motives of participants and the mysteries generally mystifying until enough clues are in.

She made a few early mistakes e.g. not realising the mainly fire duties of the Roman vigils but her research has improved enormously the more she has written and where possible the few early errors have been explained or at least are consistently applied.

She made a few early mistakes e.g. not realising the mainly fire duties of the Roman vigils but her research has improved enormously the more she has written and where possible the few early errors have been explained or at least are consistently applied.

I noticed that her detective character Falco has a best friend (Petro) who is a member of the vigiles, and he seems to be more policeman than fireman. At least, from what I've read so far in her novel Saturnalia.

-- Nephele

• 1 month later...

-- Nephele

I somehow missed this thread. I will definitely start looking for these books to start reading the series. Thanks Nephele.

• 2 months later...

I can not believe I missed this thread back in April...

~I like the Falco series, although I have not had time to read the first novel, which I very much enjoyed. She gives an interesting twist on things, and provides originality from all those Roman legion novels. I think the character development is the best part of the books she writes.

I absolutely love this series. I got lucky. Our local half price bookstore near the Uni had most of the books for sale, and signed at that! So I purchased them. Its a great read, and she never ceases to amaze me with her witty style. I am almost finished with A Dying Light in Corduba.

I absolutely love this series. I got lucky. Our local half price bookstore near the Uni had most of the books for sale, and signed at that! So I purchased them. Its a great read, and she never ceases to amaze me with her witty style. I am almost finished with A Dying Light in Corduba.

Does the series get repetitive after a while? I understand there are a lot of books in the series.

Does the series get repetitive after a while? I understand there are a lot of books in the series.

I have a list with 20 titles in this series, 21 if you include "Falco - The Official Companion(2010)". Seems there was a book written (or published) every year beginning with 1989 until 2010, with the exception of the years 2006 and 2008 unless I missed finding those titles.

Right now I'm re-reading "I, Claudius" and then want to begin "Claudius, The God" which I have never read but have had an old copy on the shelf for years.

I have a list with 20 titles in this series, 21 if you include "Falco - The Official Companion(2010)". Seems there was a book written (or published) every year beginning with 1989 until 2010, with the exception of the years 2006 and 2008 unless I missed finding those titles.

Right now I'm re-reading "I, Claudius" and then want to begin "Claudius, The God" which I have never read but have had an old copy on the shelf for years.

And are the stories reoccurring in these 21 titles?

~I have never heard of those books. What aspect of Claudius do they cover?

And are the stories reoccurring in these 21 titles?

~I have never heard of those books. What aspect of Claudius do they cover?

I haven't read any of the Davis novels, but from the titles it appears to be a new story with each one? The first five seem to revolve around a certain metal! :ph34r: Example: "The Silver Pigs", "Shadows in Bronze", "Venus in Copper", "The Iron Hand of Mars", "Poseidon's Gold". Two sound particularly interesting: "Three Hands in the Fountain" and "A Body in the Bath house" !

I, Claudius by Robert Graves - Emperor Claudius's life as told by himself. I assumed it was non-fiction, until I found out otherwise on this forum. Most of the facts are real, it's just in the telling that it becomes embellished. Well, the Masterpiece Theater production was base on it - that was my introduction years ago. The sequel, "Claudius, The God" I haven't read yet but pretty sure the story resumes after he becomes emperor(?).

I haven't read any of the Davis novels, but from the titles it appears to be a new story with each one? The first five seem to revolve around a certain metal! :( Example: "The Silver Pigs", "Shadows in Bronze", "Venus in Copper", "The Iron Hand of Mars", "Poseidon's Gold". Two sound particularly interesting: "Three Hands in the Fountain" and "A Body in the Bath house" !

I, Claudius by Robert Graves - Emperor Claudius's life as told by himself. I assumed it was non-fiction, until I found out otherwise on this forum. Most of the facts are real, it's just in the telling that it becomes embellished. Well, the Masterpiece Theater production was base on it - that was my introduction years ago. The sequel, "Claudius, The God" I haven't read yet but pretty sure the story resumes after he becomes emperor(?).

Hmm, I never noticed that with the titles before. I just hope they are not too repetitive, because that can destroy a series for me.

~Sounds like an interesting book. I just wish I had the time to read the backlog I have of good books that have been suggested to me! :ph34r:

Not to me Macro, and I get bored very quickly with repetitive series or plotlines. I guess it appeals to me because every story focuses not just on Falco and his trials and tribulations, but a different part of the Empire. I have been to Britannia, Germania, Palymra and now Corduba! I highly recommend the series.

Not to me Macro, and I get bored very quickly with repetitive series or plotlines. I guess it appeals to me because every story focuses not just on Falco and his trials and tribulations, but a different part of the Empire. I have been to Britannia, Germania, Palymra and now Corduba! I highly recommend the series.

Well then, it looks like I shall add 20 more books to my 'to read' list.

• 3 months later...

-- Nephele

I just finished the second book in the series, "Shadow of Bronze". I really enjoyed it.Altho most of the book is serious, there are those funny bits; and I laughed and laughed towards the end when Flaco is "picked up" and rescued from the Circus Maximus! James Bond, eat your heart out!

What did you think Nephele? Have you started at the beginning of the series yet? I'm on my way to the library this morning to pick up "Venus in Copper". Looking forward to it.