UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Lindsey Davis

Just a quick note to report on 'Two For The Lions', which I finished some time ago, but didn't update this thread. Although Davis had set the bar pretty high with '3 Hands in the Fountain', I have to say that she has pulled it out of the bag once again with 2-4. This mixes the best of her gritty Rome location writing with the evocative destinations visited by Falco and friends. The best of both worlds, and in 2-4, done very well indeed. i won't try and choose between '2-4' and '3 Hands', (OK, I will - it was 3-Hands), but suffice it to say, if you liked the one, you would love the other.

In summary: Keep 'em coming.

It's been a while since I visited UNRV, and I feel I must bring you up to date with my journey through Falco's adventures. Back in June (was it that long ago?) I reported on 'Two for the Lions'. I took a bit of a break from Falco after that, but recently returned and picked up 'One Virgin Too Many'. This wasn't a return to the olive oil theme covered in 'A Dying Light in Corduba', but a story set against the world of the Vestal Virgins. A cracking read with all the standard murder, political and religious intrigue (much the same animal in ancient Rome), but also a race against time to save a young girl's life. Exciting stuff, but 3-hands is still my favourite.

I

Edited by GhostOfClayton

I've now read the next book in the series:

The Jupiter Myth

To borrow a quote from Doctor Johnson, this was a giant rollercoaster of a novel (though to quote Abraham Lincoln, you should never trust quotes you read on the internet!) Seriously, it was a rollercoaster of a novel. This (in my humble but honest opinion) was the best Falco yet by some distance. The action, the intrigue, the suspense, the humour . . . everything. It was like climbing a hill with a series of false summits, with each plot climax being suppassed by another, and another. There are unanswered questions at the end, but you just know it's just a sign of something special coming further down the line.

In short . . nice one, Ms Davis. I can't wait for the next thrilling instalment. Wow!

I must slow down. I'm ticking these off the list pretty quickly now, having just (and I mean just) completed

The Accusers

This is a book of two halves, style-wise. The first concentrates (too hard if you ask me) on the ins, outs, quirks, and complications of the Roman legal system. It smacks of very thorough research (which is a good thing) shoe-horning its way onto the page as if to prove it was done (which is a bad thing). You really have to be keeping up to ensure you take the relevant detail on board, and so much of it adds little to the plot. Don't get me wrong, it's well written, and it's all good stuff, but it seems a little in-depth for the genre, and out of keeping with the style so far.

However, the second half returns to form. Classic Falco to please the classic Falcophile. The ultimate acolade to any work of detective fiction is that the reader should kick themselves at the end, seeing that the clues were staring them in the face all along, but they hadn't put two and two together. The Accusers is such a novel.

In summary: All's well that ends well.

I haven't read them all, but very much enjoyed the ones I have read. There's a certain humour running through them, and a certain humanity to the characters. The only thing I don't like is the sometimes disconcerting scene breaks... there doesn't seem to be any logic to some of them.

. . . and another . . .

Scandal Takes a Holiday

A nice little Falco, this one. Very much like the earlier stuff, and probable very little more needs be said. There's still a trifle too much happy coincidence going on for my tastes, though, and this comes to the fore more so in STAH than previous Falcos. Think of the bits were the crew of the Star Ship Enterprise face almost certain anihilation, only to have someone say, "why don't we reverse the polarity of the tachyon converters using the magnetic resanance imaging scanners. That will allow us to route a controlled neutron flow into that big swirly thing out there and kill it." Now imagine the equivalent in Ancient Rome. I have to say, it's getting a bit annoying now. If Falco just went out and bought a Lottery Ticket, he wouldn't have to get bogged down with all this Private Informer work. He'd just win, and put his feet up.

Rant over. This is a very enjoyable read, and don't let anyone (least of all me) tell you otherwise. The book's strength, however, is in the detailed description of Ostia and Portus, the lives lead, the sights, sounds and smells, and so on. The reader really gets to feel they know the place. Anyway who has read this book could, I'm sure, be dropped into ancient Ostia, and instantly feel right at home.

Although this wasn't Davis' best Falco so far, I'm still very much enjoying the series and really looking forward to See Delphi and Die.

OK - Finished. I didn't post individual comments about the last four books, because there were no big surprises. The quality of the Falco books has been ramping up throughout the series, and these four: See Delphi and Die, Saturnalia, Alexandria and Nemesis, didn't buck the trend at all. Fluent writing, good characterisation, exciting plot, and the final book ending strongly, certainly not abruptly as if the author just stopped bringing new books out.

The next thing a Falcophile will be anitcipating is Ides of April, (to be published 11 April 2013 in the UK and June 2013 in the USA), first of a new series centred on Falco's adopted daughter Flavia Albia.

I await it with eager anticipation!

OK - Finished. I didn't post individual comments about the last four books, because there were no big surprises. The quality of the Falco books has been ramping up throughout the series, and these four: See Delphi and Die, Saturnalia, Alexandria and Nemesis, didn't buck the trend at all. Fluent writing, good characterisation, exciting plot, and the final book ending strongly, certainly not abruptly as if the author just stopped bringing new books out.

The next thing a Falcophile will be anitcipating is Ides of April, (to be published 11 April 2013 in the UK and June 2013 in the USA), first of a new series centred on Falco's adopted daughter Flavia Albia.

I await it with eager anticipation!

Me too.

Nemesis had a pretty exciting ending did it not? "Falcophile" - I like that.

I can't take credit for 'Falcophile', I'm afraid.  I heard/read it somewhere, but can't remember where.

Agreed - the ending of Nemesis was a perfect end to the series.

Received my copy of Lindsey Davis's new book, "The Ides of April", A Flavia Albia Mystery, in the mail yesterday. I understand that Ghost of Clayton has been listening to the audio book version already, since it came out early in Britain. So what do you think so far Ghost? I'm anxious to begin reading the book today, as it's raining and that means no garden work. :clapping:

I think it was a book in two halves.  The first half was a little slow to get going, and not just in the way of a new series settling in, introducing new charaters, etc.  The book is quite rightly written as if you already know everyone concerned, and you get to know the main characters as you pick up snippets of information.  The level is perfect from that respect.

The second half is fast-paced, and action packed.  A few natty little plot twists add to the enjoyment.

In summary, Falco's legacy is in safe hands with Albia, and Linsey Davis remains on form.

So far I'm really enjoying the book. Have to stop once in awhile and think to remember certain characters from the Falco series. Comes back quickly though. And yes, that Davis humor is there, i.e - quote: "My senatorial grandmama was a wonderful woman, only surpassed by her plebeian counterpart........If I mentioned her at the stall where she used to buy roots for her broth cualdron, the greengrocer still mimed running for the hills".   :lol: