UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lanista

New Bettany Hughes series

Hi all - got this email and am sharing....

----------------------------

Next week,starting on Weds 24th at 9pm on More 4 we are showing a seven week season of Ancient World films. The series starts with a new docmentary about the neglected culture of Alexandria. As part of the documentary we will be exploring the life of the wonderful pagan philosopher Hypatia, who met a terrible end when she was lynched for her beliefs in the city. All in all this is sixteen hours of in-depth analysis of antiquity, with new material from the wonderfully redeveloped Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. We have timed the season to help all students with revision so do please spread the word to your colleagues and friends - and enjoy! Perhaps also check out our JACT/Friends of the Classics initiative to get the classics back into state schools and onto the curriculum - which we launched last night with Boris Johnson at City Hall.

And you might be interested in a new series 'Banishing Eve' on Sunday 21st and 28th, 1.30pm on BBC Radio 4, which looks at the contested role of women in the early church. Fascinating stuff!

All the very best

BH

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-anc...-bettany-hughes

www.bettanyhughes.com

www.bettanyhughes.co.uk

Lanista said:
Hi all - got this email and am sharing....

www.bettanyhughes.co.uk

Thank you for sharing. I am usually a big fan of Ms. Hughes. She is a wonderful and insightful expert on Ancient Greece. I really liked her series "Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore." She has a unique enthusiasm for ancient Greek history.

Once she gets away from Ancient Greece, however, I find her less useful.

Her series on the Moors was just unadulterated propaganda. Let's not mention the Roman Visigothic people and their rich Latinized culture that the Moors destroyed. Instead, let's focus on those nasty Catholic Christians who stole Spain from the Moors.

(Special attention around 2:25 of the video.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31l8t_wh...n-europe_school

Edited by guy

Looks fascinating. I enjoyed Hughe's series on the Spartans, but I haven't seen her other programs on Ancient Greece. Considering my TV is broken though, I'll have to wait till this is out on DVD, or watch it on Youtube if it gets posted there.

By the way British viewers who missed the show can watch it for free on Youtube by visiting the channel 4 page on youtube. here is the first link to the episode on Alexandria:

Alexandria

It's rather entertaining, even though for most people on this forum it won't be anything new.