UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Do you know this documentary?

Marcellus Mastrannus

OK, some years ago in the UK a docu-drama in which a few volunteers trained to become various historical fighters including gladiators. Can ayone give me a name?

In the US, we have this program:

http://www.spike.com/show/31082

guy also known as gaius

On channel 4?

Back in 2002 the BBC ran a 50 minute documentary called Roman Soldiers to Be . I believe this may have effectively been the template for a couple of other programmes put out either by Channel 4, as you suggested, or possibly Channel 5 but with a quick search I haven't tracked them down.

The other possibility is that some programmes such as the one on the discovery of a female burial with a 'possible' gladiatorial aspect incorporate generic military scenes. This particualr discovery I know led to the production of the 'Gladiatrix' programme in which some basic gladiatorial training was given to the girls who participated in it so the film crew could intercut the 'loose' discussion on the archaeological 'evidence' with some combat scenes.

OK, some years ago in the UK a docu-drama in which a few volunteers trained to become various historical fighters including gladiators. Can ayone give me a name?

In the US, we have this program:

http://www.spike.com/show/31082

guy also known as gaius

Thanks, I have seen it; and i hope I can see without insult its absolute s**** xD

On channel 4?

Back in 2002 the BBC ran a 50 minute documentary called Roman Soldiers to Be . I believe this may have effectively been the template for a couple of other programmes put out either by Channel 4, as you suggested, or possibly Channel 5 but with a quick search I haven't tracked them down.

The other possibility is that some programmes such as the one on the discovery of a female burial with a 'possible' gladiatorial aspect incorporate generic military scenes. This particualr discovery I know led to the production of the 'Gladiatrix' programme in which some basic gladiatorial training was given to the girls who participated in it so the film crew could intercut the 'loose' discussion on the archaeological 'evidence' with some combat scenes.

Thanks, Melvadius. You have gone through the process I went through, this forum was my last attempt. Thanks anyway I fear I shall have to leave this docu-drama in it's grave.