UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thurinius

Nymphidius Sabinus

I am always surprised how little attention is paid to Nymphidius Sabinus - surely one of the most pivotal people in the year of the four emperors (though actually he doesn't make it to 69).

I think it is debatable as to whether he conspired with Galba to get the Guards to desert Nero or whether he just takes advantage of the situation.

I was wondering what everyone else thought?

I am always surprised how little attention is paid to Nymphidius Sabinus - surely one of the most pivotal people in the year of the four emperors (though actually he doesn't make it to 69).

I think it is debatable as to whether he conspired with Galba to get the Guards to desert Nero or whether he just takes advantage of the situation.

Based on the outcome, it would seem doubtful that Sabinus conspired with Galba. It seems much more likely that he acted on his own (or in league with other local players), as one opportunist among many in this volatile time period. Had he been one of Galba's men, there would have been no reason for Galba to appoint a replacement or for the Praetorians to execute him upon Galba's approach to Rome... unless of course Sabinus got a bit too grandiose in his own designs once the leash was loosed just a bit (which is quite possible). From what we know though, Sabinus did not receive an award of any kind (at least by political or military appointment), so playing such a pivotal role on Galba's behalf just doesn't add up for me.

Based on the outcome, it would seem doubtful that Sabinus conspired with Galba. It seems much more likely that he acted on his own (or in league with other local players), as one opportunist among many in this volatile time period. Had he been one of Galba's men, there would have been no reason for Galba to appoint a replacement or for the Praetorians to execute him upon Galba's approach to Rome... unless of course Sabinus got a bit too grandiose in his own designs once the leash was loosed just a bit (which is quite possible). From what we know though, Sabinus did not receive an award of any kind (at least by political or military appointment), so playing such a pivotal role on Galba's behalf just doesn't add up for me.

I think I generally agree with you, though Plutarch makes it clear that Sabinus' behaviour in Rome was causing Galba some anxiety, so not completely inconceivable that he was a useful pawn easily disposed of when the time came.

What he does though, in declaring himself Emperor, is pretty unbelievable given his own background. How could he ever think he would be accepted? It reeks of desperation or madness or both.