UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

full Roman

Hello.

I am here to ask you if you can hepl me. I'm giong to make some Roman equipment and i need an advice. If someone have some informations about legionary equipment from 1. half of first century to end mastery of Traian, please send me a private message. I need to know everything (what materials were used, working methods), because i want to make that equipment the most contemporari.

Thanks. :)

Edited by RelPel

Hello.

I am here to ask you if you can hepl me. I'm giong to make some Roman equipment and i need an advice. If someone have some informations about legionary equipment from 1. half of first century to end mastery of Traian, please send me a private message. I need to know everything (what materials were used, working methods), because i want to make that equipment the most contemporari.

Thanks. :)

Hi Relpel

I had a similar issue recently, though I just wanted to describe the equipment. The people you need to talk to are the re-enactment community. Do a Google search for 'Roman army reenactors' and talk to the group nearest you. I was overwhelmed by the generosity of the assistance I received.

I would suggest that a good first step wopuld be to check out the 'links' page at the Roman Military Research society (RMRS) website as it lists most of the currently active Roman reenactment societies so you may be able to get in contact with a local group who may be able ot help with practical advice or queries as they arise .

Alternatively someone like Len Morgan at the RMRS may be able to advise on practical points about recreating armour and other legionary equipment as he makes some of the RMRS equipment (more details under the 'fabrica' section of the RMRS site.

Possibly better for your purpose the Legio XX in the USA have some very good information on their webpages about making armour including some plans.

In addition if you can get your hands on it Mike Bishop brought out a book on Roman Segmentata armour a few years back which is very good reference material for each of the different variations of armour currently known from the period:

Lorica Segmentata: Handbook of Roman Plate Armour (JRMES Monograph) published by Armatura press and still available from some book dealers along with a companion volume by M.D. Thomas: Lorica Segmentata, Volume II: A Catalogue of Finds, JRMES Monograph 2,

N.B. I believe the first volume at least is available as a free downloadable ebook but have never seen this version so cannot comment on how good it is.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for advices.

But the problem is, that i live on Slovakia, which is small country and here in Slovakia only a few people likes ancient world ale only some of them are doing Romans. 4 people are near me, thats all. They are not good re-enactments. I believe, they do not re-enact, they only buy equipment and go on some campfire. Some people are in Czech republic i have contacted them and i want contact people in Hungary.

Thanks for advices.

But the problem is, that i live on Slovakia, which is small country and here in Slovakia only a few people likes ancient world ale only some of them are doing Romans. 4 people are near me, thats all. They are not good re-enactments. I believe, they do not re-enact, they only buy equipment and go on some campfire. Some people are in Czech republic i have contacted them and i want contact people in Hungary.

Although not a legion based group, it may be worth contacting Collegium Gladiatorium in Hungary in case they have any local contacts for people interested in Legion re-enactment and/or may be able to help with general equipment related questions.

Otherwise I suspect that either an Austrian or Italian Legion group may be the closest to you.

Thanks a lot. I will look at that sites or groups.

Now i have one question. But its hard question i think. The question is: How was birch veneer made in rome? I want to work on scutum, and only problem i have is, that i cant buy birch veneer in good thickness. I am looking for some advices, how can i make it at home.