UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Clash of the Titans movie

Artimi

Description of Sam Worthington as Perseus, in his too-short tunic: "a jock in a frock."

Hahahaha! Priceless!

-- Nephele

• 6 months later...

Was the second prize two copies of this DVD?

I had the misfortune of seeing the glorious "3D Deepie" version - I'm still getting the headaches!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh come on now, it didn't suck. The original 1981 movie was a high point in my then young life. Where else could I have seen such a vast array of award winning actors chew historical scenery while the lives of the gods played out before me in all that tacky stop-action glory? True, the remake doesn't have Ray Harryhausen, but on the bright side, it doesn't have Harry Hamlin with long hair and a dress either. Once you get down to the basis of he story, it rings reasonably true. I mean just because your father is Zeus, doesn't mean he can't be a putz. Ok, it does suck, but it's true that Mads Mikkelsen does look fetching in his little battle skirt.

Well, the original one was corny as hell. The mechanical owl was ... just silly. But I think the original one worked because it remained true to the spirit of the original myths.

This one completely alters the relations between the gods and men, and between the gods themselves as it turns Hades into a Satanic figure. It just felt wrong on so many levels.

It was all a bit "meh" for me. I saw it in the cinema in 3D - well, sort of greyish dark 2D actually, so I got it on DVD and its just...well, a bit of nothing. I enjoyed it - the music especially was fantastic, but its not a memorable film by any stretch of the imagination. But, they're making two sequels, but already they can't agree what they'll be about.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00031745.html

I didn't know Percival was in Greek myth, so you learn something new every day.

At a guess, maybe they'd do something about Theseus (for instance) with Perseus having some sort of cameo and maybe then get Theseus and Perseus involved in the search for the Golden Fleece. Sort of like what Marvel did with the Avengers...only with Sandals. Yeah, so like at the end of each movie, this shadowy Jason figure turns up telling the hero of the piece about a special job he's organising...

Cheers

Russ

I didn't know Percival was in Greek myth, so you learn something new every day.

Cheers

Russ

Who knows perhaps the Hollywood executives might pull an 'Age of Mythology' on us and have a mix up of various Greek, Norse etc Myths all in one movie (technically they did that with the Norse Kraken). Although I still find it hard to see how characters from Arthurian literature fit into Greek myths/history. Perhaps in the last part of the trilogy Perseus can team up with Don Quixote to take on Spartacus.

Who knows perhaps the Hollywood executives might pull an 'Age of Mythology' on us and have a mix up of various Greek, Norse etc Myths all in one movie (technically they did that with the Norse Kraken). Although I still find it hard to see how characters from Arthurian literature fit into Greek myths/history. Perhaps in the last part of the trilogy Perseus can team up with Don Quixote to take on Spartacus.

I think you're correct, the "Age of Mythology" is coming. Thor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/) should be out next year. The hype of that and Prince of Persia, which was out this past year may signal that Hollywood has run out of comic books and is swooping around to mythology again.