UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Roman History Books (April 2010)

Viggen

Looking good. I think they need to stop with all the Roman Britain stuff though. I believe it focused on too much with books. Sure, it was fascinating and all that, but there are other interesting areas with less books published about them.

The problem is probably with the 'English' speaking market that there is a voracious desire to read something they can relate to, which normally means jumping onto the back of already available material which doesn't need translated QED yet more books get published about Roman Britain. To my regret I know that there is a lot of really good academic material published notably in French (e.g. the Thugga site report) as well as in German relating to North Africa and other parts of the Roman world which have been extensively researched by non-English speakers and with a few exceptions are poorly represented in English translations.

I'm sure there are other works in Italian,and Spanish as well as other European (and some non-European) languages which would find a ready market if only someone translated them and could make them available at a reasonable price :(

[Edit BTW from my perspective I think both the 'houses and society' and the 'glass-blowers' books may be worth a look if they are available when I'm next in an academic bookshop.]

Edited by Melvadius

Any book giveaways from this (or any previous) list coming our way any time soon? :whistling: