UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Virgil61

Any decent contemporary Trajan biography to recommend?

I'd like to find something along the lines of Augustus or Cicero by Anthony Everitt or Ceasar by Goldsworthy. They seem to be oddly scarce. I found Trajan: Optimus Princeps by Julian Bennett. I'll pass on the used paperback copies going for $137 to $250 (!) on Amazon.

I'd like to find something along the lines of Augustus or Cicero by Anthony Everitt or Ceasar by Goldsworthy. They seem to be oddly scarce. I found Trajan: Optimus Princeps by Julian Bennett. I'll pass on the used paperback copies going for $137 to $250 (!) on Amazon.

I know what you mean Virgil. I've been trying to look for a decent copy of Bennett's work at a decent price for a long time. No such luck. I own a copy of F. A. Lepper's "Trajan's Parthian War", which isn't bad. I've heard of another one, C.R.H Wildfeuer's "Trajan

Just had a look at amazon.co.uk.

Bennett's book can be got for about

I'm actually looking for the hardcover edition. I live in an area that's quite damp during autumn and spring, so I have mould problems with my paperbacks.

I'm actually looking for the hardcover edition. I live in an area that's quite damp during autumn and spring, so I have mould problems with my paperbacks.

Gaiseric,

Amazon UK currently has several Hardcover copies of the Bennet booklisted as second hand but there also appears to be a link to the full price copies as well at

Gaiseric,

Amazon UK currently has several Hardcover copies of the Bennet booklisted as second hand but there also appears to be a link to the full price copies as well at

The new Everitt biography of Hadrian has quite a lot of information on Trajan in the early chapters, at least. Perhaps he will move on to cover Trajan next!