UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Brucecarson

Roman Army Slogan / Motto?

Gladiator offers a perfect example of what I mean. At the start of the battle, before the fight, the General says "Strength and Honor." I'm betting that particular motto is just an invention of the film-makers.

But do we know if the Roman Army had a motto? Like how the Marine Corps have semper fi. They must have had something like that.

In the Republican period, SPQR or Senatus Populusque Romanus (= The Senate and People of Rome) was the motto of the Roman government and, by default, the Roman legions. Apparently, it continued to be used under the Empire as well.

Edited by Aurelia

I interpreted the "Strength and honor" line to be a watchword, a word or phrase used to authenticate an order as legitimate or to allow a soldier to pass by a sentry unmolested.

I interpreted the "Strength and honor" line to be a watchword, a word or phrase used to authenticate an order as legitimate or to allow a soldier to pass by a sentry unmolested.

I'm not sure about that in the context they use it in the movie at least. It's more like a US Marines "hoo-yah" thing, isn't it? Or a calm exhortation before battle. Or a not so calm one in battle. It's cool anyway, and if I knew the Latin, I'd probably add it to my mid-life crisis tattoo that I'm getting in January.

In the Republican period, SPQR or Senatus Populusque Romanus (= The Senate and People of Rome) was the motto of the Roman government and, by default, the Roman legions. Apparently, it continued to be used under the Empire as well.

SPQR was the official name of the Roman state. Not a motto, surely?

SPQR was the official name of the Roman state. Not a motto, surely?

Some sources cite SPQR as a motto as well.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/spqr.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPQR

Incorrectly, I'd imagine, but it's interesting that they do. Rather as if the need for a motto to have existed is important. Must be a part of human psyche in some way, which does indicate that Romans did indeed use motto's in much the same way as we do today. Okay maybe that's hardly scientific evidence but I also notice the Roman sources don't advertise motto's. Does this indicate they were little used? Or that they were so commonplace as to escape mention? Or are the writers above that sort of thing and find it unimportant, given they're describing the lives and events of movers and shakers as opposed to the grunts, who usually get only get a mention shortly before some nasty retribution happens?

The Roman army slogan motto feels like a case of lost in translation. Too much has happened through the ages really for us to know what they would say. Accurate historical records are being still compiled. Language itself undergoes such a series of transformations that there is no way of going back. Our ancestors seemingly carried their secrets to their graves leaving us dumber .:)                                                                                                                                        thanks

I don't recall any specific such instance myself, though I do note the sources mentioning how a legion began a march in high spirits, singing, growing gradually silent as the conditions of marching begin to tell. There was the Baratus, a Roman war cry derived from tribal origins.