UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Distance question?

Amalina

Pretty straightforward as the topic. I am wonder how long it would take for the Romans to travel from Rome to Britain at Saxon shore forts such as in what is modern Kent. Also what path would they take to get there?

Thanks!

I cannot give a specific answer to this question myself but can point you at a couple of resources/ further areas to research which may help.

As far as individual routes are concerned within the Roman Empire the best source that we have available is probably what are lumped together as the Antonine Itineraries the earliest of which probably date from the early 3rd century. The Itineraries depict a wide range of routes throughout most of the Roman Empire.

Some have speculated that the routes were intended for the use of tax collectors but used in conjunction they do give indications of how people could travel across much of the empire. The routes list way stations along the routes between major towns and also give an indication of how far the Roman

Another issue is that 'Roman' is too broad a term. Are we talking imperial messengers? A businessman? A family? An entire legion? Each of these used different means of travel, and that's before we assess the degree of urgency involved. Then there's the time of year, which is important if you have roads or passes blocked by snow.

However, if you are looking for a very rough guide, I know of a modern couple who did a pilgrimage on foot from Canterbury to Rome, and it took them just under three months. However, in the right conditions and with relays of good horses I'd estimate that you could do it in under three weeks if you don't mind being a stretcher case by the time you got there. (Ship to Massilia, then by road via Lugdunum and Durocortorum to the Channel ports.)