UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New Roman History Books (May 2010)

Viggen

Below are the newest releases for May....

The Invention of Law in the West

The Histories, Volume I: Books 1-2 (Loeb Classical Library) [Hardcover]

The Histories, Volume II: Books 3-4 (Loeb Classical Library) [Hardcover]

Ancient Rome: An Interactive History Adventure (You Choose: Historical Eras) [Paperback]

The Emperors' Needles: Egyptian Obelisks and Rome [Hardcover]

The Rise and Fall of Ancient Rome: An illustrated military and political history of the world's mightiest power: from the rise of the Republic and the growth of the Empire to the fall of the West [Hardcover]

Italy and the West: Comparative Issues in Romanization [Paperback]

Fires of Rome: Jesus and the Early Christians in the Roman Empire [Paperback]

Imperial Mines and Quarries in the Roman World: Organizational Aspects 27 BC-AD 235 (Oxford Classical Monographs) [Hardcover]

Caesar: Civil War III (Classical Texts) (Bk. 3) [Paperback]

Cicero: Pro Sexto Roscio (Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics) [Paperback]

One God: Pagan Monotheism in the Roman Empire [Hardcover]

The Religion of Senators in the Roman Empire: Power and the Beyond [Hardcover]

The Roman Banquet: Images of Conviviality [Paperback]

The Symptom and the Subject: The Emergence of the Physical Body in Ancient Greece [Hardcover]

A Companion to Byzantium (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) [Hardcover]

Catullus, Cicero, and a Society of Patrons: The Generation of the Text [Hardcover]

The Roman Wedding: Ritual and Meaning in Antiquity [Paperback]

Ethnic Identity and Aristocratic Competition in Republican Rome [Paperback]

Death in Babylon: Alexander the Great and Iberian Empire in the Muslim Orient [Hardcover]

I also updated the Bestselling in April page...

Maybe general Roman history has been so well mined over the years there is now an emphasis on researching the more arcane topics. I've seen a lot of strange specialty books in the last 2 years or so - and most of them are expensive.

Looks good, although I don't see why anyone would want to read about Roman weddings. I personally don't know anyone who would find that remotely interesting. However the Rise and fall of Ancient Rome looks extremely good.

There was more to Romans than politics and militarism.

Looks good, although I don't see why anyone would want to read about Roman weddings. I personally don't know anyone who would find that remotely interesting. However the Rise and fall of Ancient Rome looks extremely good.

I know. However, I do not see why anyone would want to buy a book on Roman weddings, other than for research.

I know. However, I do not see why anyone would want to buy a book on Roman weddings, other than for research.

I suppose it depends on how you define 'research'.

There has long been is a large field of study into the Roman family and its various constituent elements which encompasses both the physical buildings in which people lived as well as what evidence there is for customs and practices - in fact this particular book would compliment information I learned as part of an old Open University course which I did a few years back on the Roman Family.

Admittedly on this basis there can be a large element of 'research' which can be undertaken in this area but the output of such research can help archaeologists interpret what they find so underpins a lot of theoretical discussions e.g about how some of the insulae in Pompeii were used , whether by extended family groups or small households or less certainly if such households were fomalised by marriage.

Against this I know some people who seek out such works purely for their own interest with no ulterior intention to carry out formal 'research', so you pays your money and reads the book or not as the case may be.

Now you come to mention it maybe I will have a look at that book myself...