UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Turb0!

All time favorite book

Does anyone have an all-time favorite book on Roman history? Mine is Rubicon by Tom Holland, about the late Republic and the Civil Wars. I read it when I was in fifth or sixth grade and I've been fascinated by the history of Rome ever since.

Well, Rubicon is non-fiction but Holland weaves together historical events to make a very compelling narrative.

Ive actually never read any historical fiction about Rome, but I was thinking of finding something to read over the summer so I will definitely look into that book.

Rubicon is a really good book, I totaly agree.

If it's a fiction you looking for i could recomend the series of Conn Iggulden about Ceasar "The Emepror". It's good writing although not totaly correct to history.

Also a good tip is Simon Scarrow and his books. Belive the series is called "The silver Eagle" (not sure on that one. I live in Sweden so here we have a translationproblem :lol:))

For now I'm reading Steven Saylors serie "Roma Sub Rosa". Also good writing and most of it is historcial correct...

Just a few tips...also, everything written by Adrian Goldsworthy is just to dig in too (especially "Ceasar" and "The Complete Roman Army" although they are non-fiction)

Thanks Sophokles and Ursus. I own The Complete Roman Army but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I've been looking into getting either Cicero, Hadrian, or Augustus by Everitt but haven't decided which one I want to read. Has anyone here read any of those titles?

Thanks Sophokles and Ursus. I own The Complete Roman Army but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I've been looking into getting either Cicero, Hadrian, or Augustus by Everitt but haven't decided which one I want to read. Has anyone here read any of those titles?

Don't get "Augustus" by Everitt. It's nothing special, and in fact the opening is an infamous prologue where Everitt imagines Livia giving Augustus poison figs with his silent consent.

Yeah, Ive read about that in some reviews and it struck me as odd. One of them said that he backs up that dramatic scene with some historical evidence though. I'm guessing that his theory didnt ring true with you though?

Edited by Turb0!

One of them said that he backs up that dramatic scene with some historical evidence though.

No ... he introduces this colorful prologue without ever mentioning it again.

One of them said that he backs up that dramatic scene with some historical evidence though.

No ... he introduces this colorful prologue without ever mentioning it again.

Well that's no fun at all! Thanks for the info ursus, I'll scratch that one off of my list.

The Eagle in the Snow and Friend of Caesar and The Nineth Legion.

Maybe favourites is more applicable in my case.

My great-niece started reading Friend of Caesar (by Stearns, written about 1900). she said she has a hard time putting it down. She is 16, about the same age I was when I first read it. It is kind of nice to see one very young enjoy a book that I love.

The Roman Republic by Michael Crawford and As the Romans Did by Jo-Ann Shelton (I know a source book, I love reading all the quotes). When I first read the Crawford book, it had many aha moments... someone felt the same way about the Roman republic as I did and (big point) he knew history to back up his points!

Edited by Artimi

I ordered a paperback of Eagle of the Snow last night online because of this thread. I was having a difficult time deciding which book(s) to read next (until Scarrow comes out with another with my heroes, Macro and Cato). May still go to the library and see if they can find some Lindsey Davis books for me, as I know they don't have them on their shelves.

Of course Centurion Macro, you know I loved Eagle of the Ninth. It was my first introduction to Roman historical fiction.

I love the Simon Scarrow books but my favorites are not that widely known:

James Duffy

"Sand of the Arena"

"The Fight for Rome"

The author had intended to write a trilogy but since he did not sell enough of the first two volumes he cancelled this project which makes me very sad since they are the best novels on gladiators I've read so far.