UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Turb0!

BBC's I, Claudius

Has anyone else seen the TV series "I, Claudius" based on Robert Graves' book of the same name? I just got the series, and I've only watched the first episode but I'm a bit put off by it. While everything else is very well done, the actor who plays Augustus has a persona which seems the exact opposite of the actual Augustus. Plump and gregarious are probably the last words which come to mind when I think of Rome's first emperor. I'm wondering, is the show just going off of how Augustus is portrayed by Graves, or did they just feel that Augustus' real personality didn't make for good television?

Has anyone else seen the TV series "I, Claudius" based on Robert Graves' book of the same name? I just got the series, and I've only watched the first episode but I'm a bit put off by it. While everything else is very well done, the actor who plays Augustus has a persona which seems the exact opposite of the actual Augustus. Plump and gregarious are probably the last words which come to mind when I think of Rome's first emperor. I'm wondering, is the show just going off of how Augustus is portrayed by Graves, or did they just feel that Augustus' real personality didn't make for good television?

I know The Augusta has :)

http://www.unrv.com/book-review/i-claudius.php

cheers

viggen

I, Claudius picks up after the first or second episode. If you like Roman epics do give it another try and watch the next episode.

I think they were trying to do something different with Augustus in this series. He is ably played by Brian Blessed and more resembles Augustus later in life than in the Battle of Actium. There is one scene where Augustus breaks from the easy-going princeps and shows his pre-Actium side. In this scene it is obvious he is Emperor, despite Livia's scheming.

The tone of the series changes in dramatic fashion at almost the half-way point and then changes again. The last episodes are almost completely different from the first episode.

I, Claudius does not pretend to be historically accurate. It is based on the novel of the same name. It relies heavily on superb acting to bring the story to life. I strongly recommend it to any fan of Roman epics.