UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Melvadius

Value of nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques on ancient coins

Although I suspect from a recent lecture that it may be a variation of techniques which have been/ are being used by other researchers for related purposes in the same region and period, Eureka alert carries an interesting article by Mark Esser of National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on the value of nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques when examining corroded coins.

NDE methods for evaluating ancient coins could be worth their weight in gold

Demonstrating that chemistry sometimes can inform history, researchers from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Colorado College and Mount Saint Mary's University in Emmitsburg, Md., have shown that sensitive nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques can be used to determine the elemental composition of ancient coins, even coins that generally have been considered too corroded for such methods*. Along the way, the researchers' analysis of coins minted in ancient Judea has raised new questions about who ruled the area while giving insight into trading patterns and industry in the region.

Elemental and isotope analysis of the metals in ancient artifacts sometimes can pinpoint the places where the metal was mined, because ores in a given region often have a unique composition. This can be combined with historical records of when mines in the area were operating to determine when the coin was likely struck. The results not only help date the coin, but also offer insight into trade and power relationships in the region.

To compare the effectiveness of various nondestructive analytical methods with destructive methods often used to determine the age and origin of ancient coins, the group studied coins minted by Kings Herod Agrippa I and Agrippa II in what is modern day Palestine and Israel, a biblically and historically significant period.

The vast numbers of a particular coin, a prutah, found in the archaeological record has led scholars to disagree about when they were struck and by whom. The provenance of the coin is important because it is used to establish dates for places and events in the early years of Christianity and the onset of the Jewish War (66-70 CE) against the Romans and the Diaspora that followed.

To better establish whether the coins were minted by Agrippa I (41-45 CE) or Agrippa II (after 61 CE), the team performed X-ray fluorescence and lead isotope analysis to fingerprint the ores used in the production of the coins. These NDE methods are not commonly used on corroded coins because the corrosion can affect the results

Edited by Melvadius

Although I suspect from a recent lecture that it may be a variation of techniques which have been/ are being used by other researchers for related purposes in the same region and period, Eureka alert carries an interesting article by Mark Esser of National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on the value of nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques when examining corroded coins.

[

An interesting article. I think that improved anaylsis of coins and their compositiion will improve the ability to authenticate the coins as well as enhance our understanding of the surrounding social forces that existed during their mintage. Hopefully, we can learn the source of the coins' metal (Spain or Dacia, for example). By studying the coins composition (the poorer quality of silver coinage during the "Third Century Crisis," for example) we can gain insight into the changing political and economic environment.

Although I don't collect coins, I find this part of numismatics fascinating.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

A friend of mine was, until this friday, working on a similar project for the British Museum. The progress of technologies are huge, but my friend also remembered me of the importance of a collaborative work on such topics, especially when metal studies are implied because nothing is more easily recycled than metals. So provenance studies always have their limitations and analysis results must always be paired with historical information and context information.