UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What If Julius Caesar Did Not Die?

Ro-man

What if julius caesar was not murderd by parts of the senate? would he die later? or maybe he would have conquerd the world....

"Not that I lov'd Caesar less, but that I lov'd Rome more."

-- From Julius Caesar (III, ii, 22)

Brutus attempts to explain to the throngs of angry, frightened people who have assembled in the Forum why he and his fellow conspirators assassinated Julius Caesar. He tells them that Caesar would have enslaved them if he had lived, and asks if they would rather be slaves than free men; would they rather have Caesar alive, or be free men and have Caesar dead. He goes on to say, "As Caesar lov'd me, I weep for him; as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was valiant, I honor him, but, as he was ambitious, I slew him."

i have know idea where to begin to start

Some historians have speculated that Ceasar didn't have too much time left anyhow. They suspect he knew he was dying which is why he let himself be trapped.

On the otherhand, my read on his personality is that he would have twarted them had he known what was coming.

I guess the first question one has to ask is would his campaign against the Parthians have been sucessful, or would he suffer Crassus fate? Would we even know his name other than that of one more General who aided in the destruction of the Republic had he not been murdered in the Senate and died in Parthia? Or would he have set himself up as the first Emperor upon his triumphant return? Would he have resigned his dictatorship when he thought he had successfully reformed the government? So many "ifs" and it's a fun game.

In the last year of Caesar's life he did exhibit signs he was winding down. His epeleptic episodes were becoming more frequent and there is evidence he may have suffered a serious illness (but what, we don't know). His planned departure for the Parthian campaign on the 18th of March is indicative of his desire (or frustration with), to leave Roman pollitics. His appointments of magistrates for the subsequent 5 years could be construed as descent into despotism. And his last words perhaps illustrate the idea that he may have been out of touch with his political peers, "What's this, violence against Caesar!" In the end Caesar's legacy is enormous. All the future kings of europe could be seen as his "offshoots". And he changed the Roman sociopolitical world from mediteranean centric to euro centric. Though it was left to his nephew Augustus to provide a lasting and acceptable political solution.

• 4 months later...