UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gutenberg Books in PDF

Viggen

The free Gutenberg Project, it is fantastic, but they don`t offer .pdf, so i created it my self.

It prints out better, and it reads much easier on the screen itself, your feed back is appreciated.

Ammianus Marcellinus
The Roman History of Ammianus Marcellinus
Ammianus_Marcellinus.pdf
Apuleius
The Apologia and Florida of Apuleius of Madaura
Apologia.pdf
Apicius
Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome
APICIUS.pdf
Caesar, Julius
"De Bello Gallico" and Other Commentaries
Caesar.pdf
Catullus
The Carmina of Caius Valerius Catullus
Catullus_Carmina.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Academica
ciceroacademica.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Cato Maior de Senectute
cicerocatomaior.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
History of famous Orators
cicerobrutus.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Cicero`s Tusculan Disputations
cicerotusculan.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
De Amicitia, Scipio's Dream
cicerodeamicitia.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
The Letters of Cicero, Volume 1
cicerolettersvol1.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
The Orations of Marcus Tullius Cicero
cicerotheorations.pdf
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Treatises on Friendship and Old Age
cicerotreatises.pdf
Dio Cassius
Roman History Vol 1 of 6
diocassiusromevol1.pdf
Dio Cassius
Roman History Vol 2 of 6
diocassiusromevol2.pdf
Dio Cassius
Roman History Vol 3 of 6
diocassiusromevol3.pdf
Dio Cassius
Roman History Vol 4 of 6
diocassiusromevol4.pdf
Dio Cassius
Roman History Vol 5 of 6
diocassiusromevol5.pdf
Dio Cassius
Roman History Vol 6 of 6
diocassiusromevol6.pdf
Horace
The Art Of Poetry
horaceartofpoetry.pdf
Horace
Book of Odes and Carmen Saeculare
horaceodes.pdf
Horace
Book of The Satires, Epistles, and Art of Poetry
horacebookofsatires.pdf
Flavius Josephus
The Wars of the Jews or History of theDestruction of Jerusalem Book I

warjews.pdf

E.M. Berens Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome.pdf

Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace

your feed back is appreciated.

It prints out better and also for me it reads so much easier on the screen itself, i uploaded here now the first one, your feed back is appreciated.

On one hand, your pdf looks so similar to the gutenburg original on my screen, that I wonder if you have some unfortunate settings on your browser that should be fine tuned. I have an eye affliction (hopefully temporary but quite long lasting) that makes me aggressively reset all the browser preferences. The defaults tend to be terrible; now I have them set up so online reading is better than the printed paper experience.

Actually I keep 4 browsers set up for different tradeoffs (none of them IE, which I hate with a fury). One brand is set up with display options perfect for printing. Another brand is set up with all default options for the native experience. I almost never invoke those 2. I keep a 3rd and 4th browser active at all times. One is radically optimized for online readability comfort and bliss. But it looks so unlike the authors intentions (sometimes actually omits or distorts things), that I have another browser with a balance giving proper parsing and such, but with very significant alterations for readability.

Of course font types and sizes are important. Not just aesthetics of a font type, but check the way they scale to various sizes which unfortunately varies. They make some preferences harder to discover with each generation of browser, but it can be benificial to really track them down. For instance, the typical convention of black fonts on white background is barbaric on a backlit screen. It makes sense on the printed (reflective) page, because then black blooms upon white. But when backlit, the white is so harsh and dominent that white blooms upon black and makes the font shapes harder to discern. On my super readable browser, I take advantage of the eyes inability to focus blue sharply and use pale blue for background instead of white. De-emphasizing the background makes the foreground appear sharper. etc etc etc

thanks for feedback, interesting never bothered with setting up my monitor, however having a 24 inch monitor i have every sentence extremely long

the first one would be on the Gutenberpage;

Of Ammianus Marcellinus, the writer of the following History, we know very little more than what can be collected from that portion of it which remains to us. From that source we learn that he was a native of Antioch, and

on my created pdf

Of Ammianus Marcellinus, the writer of the following History, we know very little more than

I really struggle to follow and focus at such long winded sentences, so for me the convenience and readability is just so much better with the pdf, never mind the actual printing, if someone else finds it useful then the better :unsure:

cheers

viggen

One advantage to PDF is it scales properly when you use "magnify" buttons (something like cntl+ or cntl-). Browser screens tend to scale html in distorted ways. But for just sentence length, html viewers can normally pinch their browser window into a narrow column by sliding the lower right corner of frame to the left, and sentences will reflow (maybe have to exit out of full screen mode).

I keep several browsers overlapping like shingles side by side, but each at full height of the screen. It somehow seems very natural to keep a couple side by side browsers running in parallel - better than just tabs in each one. Reminds me of the seductive editing of 2 parallel threads in the reality TV series http://www.aetv.com/the_first_48/ where the slightest pause in action of one story lets you find instant gratification in the alternate story, and vice versa.

Edited by caesar novus

I think it's a nice idea, Viggen.

great! smile.gif

I keep them now on top of the post so they are all in one place and easy to spot and select...

...added
Apicius

great! smile.gif

I keep them now on top of the post so they are all in one place and easy to spot and select...

...added
Apicius

Thank you!

You are welcome Crispina;

added
Caesar, Julius

Caesar.pdf

great! :)

...added

Apicius

APICIUS.pdf

Thank you!

You are welcome Crispina;

added

Caesar, Julius

Caesar.pdf

Wouldn't it be wonderful to attempt to re-create these recipes one by one, just like the heroine in "Julie and Julia"?- she cooking her way through Julia Child's French cookbook. What an adventure - even more of an adventure finding Apicius's ingredients!

Wouldn't it be wonderful to attempt to re-create these recipes one by one, just like the heroine in "Julie and Julia"?- she cooking her way through Julia Child's French cookbook. What an adventure - even more of an adventure finding Apicius's ingredients!

oh yeah, some of those recipies are doable but some ingredients are rather tricky to get hold of ;)

added

Catullus

The Carmina of Caius Valerius Catullus

Catullus_Carmina.pdf

added several more works from Cicero

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Cato Maior de Senectute

cicerocatomaior.pdf

Marcus Tullius Cicero

History of famous Orators

cicerobrutus.pdf

Marcus Tullius Cicero