UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

read amazon kindle books without having a kindle

Now i am sure you have heard by know about the Amazon Kindle Reading Device (Amazon Kindle is a software and hardware platform developed by Amazon.com for the rendering and displaying of e-books and other digital media.) It comes in the premium version Kindle DX and the standard version Kindle Standard (they reduced the price of the standard version to 189,-),

Kindle for Windows

If you don`t have a Kindle and want to take advantage of the large collection of kindle books you can do that if you have a Windows XP; Windows Vista or Windows 7

Just download from Amazon the Kindle for Windows software for free, install it and you are set...

Kindle for MAC

MAC (10.5 and above)

Just download from Amazon the Kindle for MAC software for free, install it and you are set...

Kindle for Iphone

Just download from ITunes the Kindle for Iphone application for free, install it and you are set...

Kindle for IPAD

Just download from ITunes the Kindle for IPAD application for free, install it and you are set...

Kindle for BlackBerry (US only)

Just type "amazon.com/kindlebb" into your BlackBerry browser to download

Kindle for Android

Requires Android OS 1.6 or Higher

Just go to Kindle for Android and follow the instructions...

Some good reasons why you should try it out...

Read thousands of free books, including popular classics such as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice, and Treasure Island.

Get free book samples - read the first chapter for free before you decide to buy.

Whispersync technology saves and synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across your devices.

Adjust text size to make reading more comfortable.

Download and read Kindle books - no Kindle required.

cheers and have fun

viggen

I actually have the Barnes and Noble Nook. Not sure what it's capabilities are internationally, but I love it here in the States.

Nook

...from their Q&A

Can I use my NOOK while traveling abroad?

Yes, when you travel abroad, you can read any files that are already on your NOOK. You can connect to Wi-Fi

Once you downloaded the kindle App for the device of your choice, there are hundreds of free books to download, here some that you maybe always wanted to read but never got around to do...

Dracula [Kindle Edition] FREE

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes [Kindle Edition] FREE

Treasure Island [Kindle Edition] FREE

cheers

viggen

I have the kindle downloads on my MAC and my I-Pad.

I was unable to copy and paste snippets from the books. Is it possible to do so?

as far as i know there is no copy and paste ability on the Mac, there is a notes and highlight feature on the PC, not sure if the MAC has that...

This is rumor, needs confirmation, but I've heard whispers that Amazon is working on backwards compatible Kindle software for stone tablets.

RSG

No Roads Lead to Rome

Wow, I will defintiely be interested in Kindle then. Image: the 10 commandents!!!

Kindle for PC seems to have limited functionality. I used it then found mobipocket ebook reader which reads the same ebook files Kindle does (mobi and prc). It's far superior in functionality than what Amazon gives you on Kindle for PC.

LINK

I also use Caliberwhich is pretty funky as well. It reads both Kindle and Nook type files.

Once you downloaded the kindle App for the device of your choice, there are hundreds of free books to download, here some that you maybe always wanted to read but never got around to do...

Dracula [Kindle Edition] FREE

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes [Kindle Edition] FREE

Treasure Island [Kindle Edition] FREE

cheers

viggen

These are available already via Apple iBooks, which is the preferred reader on an iPod/iPad/iPhone. The beauty of the Kindle emulator is that you can get hold of books like "Gladiatrix" by our own Lanista, which are otherwise not available on iBooks.