UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the5500th

Ancient Abortion

Hello UNRV members,

I was reading the report on this website about the possibility of a Roman brothel being found in England with a dozens of babies being buried there. These babies are thought to be the unwanted children of the prostetutes working at the brothel. I was wondering if there were anything that a pregnant woman who did not want the child could do in ancient times that would be along the lines of an abortion.

Also I know that ancient armies would have prostatutes amongst the camp followers and I always asumed the same went for the Roman army but I was just reading about Roman military camp life and there was no metion of them and so I went and did a little research and found nothing about prostatutes and the Roman army.

Thanks

Edited by the5500th

Abortion was totally legal in Rome until the later stages in history. There were a variety of plant based products a woman could take orally or vaginally to provoke an abortion.

Thanks. Why would the women at the brothel in england not use these metheds and have an abortion rather then waiting until the child was 4 months old or did I read the artical wrong. ALso does anybody know if Roman military camps contained prostitutes as other ancient militaries did.