UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Spectacle in the Roman World

I have the two earlier books by Dodge and would love to have this one.

We are happy to announce that Duckworth Publishers is giving away one copy of the upcoming book - Spectacle in the Roman World by Hazel Dodge to one lucky member.

This book offers an introduction to the main forms of spectacle in the Roman world (human and animal combat, chariot racing, aquatic displays), their nature, context and social importance. It will explore the vast array of sources, from literary to archaeological material, that informs the subject. It will examine the spectacles with special emphasis on their physical setting, and will also consider the variation in the provision of venues and their context across the Empire. A final section will review the modern reception of Roman spectacles, especially those involving gladiators.

Hazel Dodge is Senior Lecturer in Classical Archaeology, Trinity College Dublin. She is author (with Peter Connolly) of The Ancient City (1998) and editor (with J.C.N. Coulston) of Ancient Rome: The Archaeology of the Eternal City (2000). All you have to do is to reply to this mail, confirming that you are interested.

The winner will be chosen randomly from all replies, deadline is the 20th of August 2010

All you have to do to enter the draw is to post here

cheers

viggen

I would love another history book for mine collection. Add my name ;)

We are happy to announce that Duckworth Publishers is giving away one copy of the upcoming book - Spectacle in the Roman World by Hazel Dodge to one lucky member.

This book offers an introduction to the main forms of spectacle in the Roman world (human and animal combat, chariot racing, aquatic displays), their nature, context and social importance. It will explore the vast array of sources, from literary to archaeological material, that informs the subject. It will examine the spectacles with special emphasis on their physical setting, and will also consider the variation in the provision of venues and their context across the Empire. A final section will review the modern reception of Roman spectacles, especially those involving gladiators.

Hazel Dodge is Senior Lecturer in Classical Archaeology, Trinity College Dublin. She is author (with Peter Connolly) of The Ancient City (1998) and editor (with J.C.N. Coulston) of Ancient Rome: The Archaeology of the Eternal City (2000). All you have to do is to reply to this mail, confirming that you are interested.

The winner will be chosen randomly from all replies, deadline is the 20th of August 2010

All you have to do to enter the draw is to post here

cheers

viggen

Throwing my hat into the arena

Throwing my toga into the arena! ;)

I saw a lecture by Hazel Dodge at the Amphitheatre Conference in Chester in 2007. Of course I'd be interested in her new book so count me in.

I need a new book!

Hey! Count me in, too.

As Fortuna's Favorite, I'm confident that soon the book will be headed this way.

count me in on this one!