UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

On July 4th, 1776

Faustus

The Declaration of Independence, was originally titled "A Declaration by the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress assembled,

Edited by Faustus

Happy independence day, although I personally dislike all these men, as their 'freedom' and all that mentioned nothing about Afro-American slaves who they oppressed even only 50 years ago. I don't know, but they just seemed to be selfish in the fact they did not count anyone who was not white and religious to be less than what they were.

However, I do not want to spoil this thread with an argument, so for this day, I support America.

Edited by Centurion-Macro

Happy independence day, although I personally dislike all these men, as their 'freedom' and all that mentioned nothing about Afro-American slaves who they oppressed even only 50 years ago. I don't know, but they just seemed to be selfish in the fact they did not count anyone who was not white and religious to be less than what they were.

However, I do not want to spoil this thread with an argument, so for this day, I support America.

For the record, several of the primary founders who owned slaves, Jefferson in particular, seemed to be tormented by the institution of slavery. Granted, he/they didn't make great personal effort to end the practice, but note that they did understand the hypocrisy. Jefferson's earliest draft of the Declaration blasted the slave trade and King George's role in it, but it would never have been ratified by the representatives of all 13 colonies so it was struck. He was supportive of a Virginia law to end slave importation and attempted to introduce general emancipation and deportation.. an attempt that failed.

Additionally, founders from northern states did not own slaves. There is much more than meets the eye in regards to the time and the politics and the horrible institution of slavery.

For the record, several of the primary founders who owned slaves, Jefferson in particular, seemed to be tormented by the institution of slavery. Granted, he/they didn't make great personal effort to end the practice, but note that they did understand the hypocrisy. Jefferson's earliest draft of the Declaration blasted the slave trade and King George's role in it, but it would never have been ratified by the representatives of all 13 colonies so it was struck. He was supportive of a Virginia law to end slave importation and attempted to introduce general emancipation and deportation.. an attempt that failed.

Additionally, founders from northern states did not own slaves. There is much more than meets the eye in regards to the time and the politics and the horrible institution of slavery.

The founders may not have owned slaves, but they hardly stuck up for them in the South until the 1860's in the Civil War.

And 'freed' blacks living in the North were still poor. They were still inferior to the 'white' man, and they lived in stinking ghettos for years afterward.