Hi, I haven't been here in a while, but have continued to study the Roman - Germanic conflict on and off. I only recently found out about the recent discovery of a battlefield near Kalefeld on the Harzhorn Hill. I looked for an exsisting thread on the subject, assuming it must have been much discussed, but could not find a recent one, so hope you do not mind another.   More up-to-date information is now being posted on some german sites associated with the excavation, and pictures of the finds and site.   I was mainly interested in what people here thought of the interpretations so far coming from the excavation group and if they had any ideas at variance or supplementary in nature. Also since this is not a well documented event in roman histories much remains in question. A rare feast for delightful spectulation.   Some questions I had about it were:   - If a roman legion, and auxillaries was involved, why do the excavators estimate the roman force at 1000 ?   - Why are most of the sandal nails, so far found concentrated at the base of the slope leading to the Germanic tribes position on the top of the hill ?   - How did the romans have enough time to get their 'artillery', that is ballista, up the hill and into position if this was an ambush ?   - Why are their no Germanic artifacts found ?   - Why did the Romans not collect their used arrows and ballista projectiles after the battle ?   - If it was a Roman victory why was it not more recorded ?   - Which Legion(s) were involved ?   - Is the similarity to the opening battle in the film 'Gladiator' purely coincidental ?   ...