UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Centurion Marcus Valerius

Ancient Roman visits the Modern World

I would take them to Germany. The idea that slovenly tribesmen living in wooden huts would eventually become the economic powerhouse of Europe would shock them!

I would show him a modern soccer stadium and tell him about the fan festivals during the World Cup where thousands of people watched the matches together. I assume he would be jealous that such things did not exist back in his time so the people who did not get a ticket for a gladiator show weren't that disappointed. They surely would have went to a tavern or public space to watch it there with other fans who could not get a ticket.

Edited by Medusa

I would take them to Germany. The idea that slovenly tribesmen living in wooden huts would eventually become the economic powerhouse of Europe would shock them!

I would show him especially the area around Frankfurt with the remains of the limes and the forts like Saalburg and then to Frankfurt with its ugly skyscrapers. That would be definitely a shock. But then I would show him my hometown Hamburg and tell him that here the Romans never settled but only went on an expedition up the river Elbe.

Take him to a guided tour of the Colosseum, just to see his reaction to the way the guide describe the Romans.

I like the answers so far.

I was thinking that someone from around 100 AD might be fascinated to see a sporting event, a racing event, an outdoor produce market, a military camp or a large port, and a tour of any great capital city and visit to a parliamentary debate.

They would no doubt feel both familiar and strange to see how much we've taken from their architecture, love of public spectacle, military arts, government, and sense of commerce.

They would be shocked to see planes in the sky and all of our other technological developments. Much of this would appear to be nothing short of magic.

The rise and spread of Christianity would probably be a big surprise. A visit to a large cathedral basilica would be really interesting.

By and large, I think that, overall, an astute Roman would see more similarities than differences.

I might finish the day with a good movie. Any recommendations?

I might finish the day with a good movie. Any recommendations?

As you've specified someone from 100AD it might be interesting to see their reaction to our interpretations of Rome - at least if he/she didn't get annoyed by the errors they tend to propound so one of the 1950's/60's Biblical/ historical works like 'The Robe' or 'Ben Hur' might be of interest. Personally I would steer clear of anything to do with Boudicca as there tends to be so little in such films that can be said to have been 'properly' researched.

As the Roman's seem to have liked more rumbustious (slapstick) comedy and singing (given the soldiers songs surving from Caerar's triumph) a better alternative might be 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum'.