UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Cleopatra and Marc Antony

Cleopatra, the intelligent and beautiful temptress, may not have been so beautiful. Marc Antony and Cleopatra, perhaps history's most famous power couple, may not have been the most handsome couple. At least, this is what the numismatic evidence suggests.

(Slide the mouse across the coin to see both sides):

http://www.ancientmoney.org/ri/cleopatra_antony_tet.html

More favorable portrayals by Hollywood:

HBO's powerful portrayal from Rome:

The classic Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor version:

And a great video (but weak movie) version:

Enjoy. :o

guy also known as gaius

Note: I want to thank John N. for creating and sharing such a great collection of coins. He is a true friend to both numismatists and scholars.

Edited by guy

Methinks Cleopatra could have been a fat pig, and she still would have been courted for her country's wealth.

Methinks Cleopatra could have been a fat pig, and she still would have been courted for her country's wealth.

Yes, this is the common explanation for the "real" reason to Antonius relationship with Cleopatra, however I find it lacking - by the time of Cleopatra reign the Ptolemaic Kingdom was nothing more than a Roman vassal, if Antonius wanted it's wealth he would have simply take it.

If we consider that Antonius was willing to break Roman taboos for her (like the one about non marring non-Romans) I think we should accept the claim that Cleopatra manage to infatuate him without seeking an hidden motive.

I found on the Oxford Blog an interview with Duane Roller who recently wrote a book about Cleopatra, thought that might be interesting for this discussion...

Cleopatra Podcast

Duane Roller answers the question: Who was the real Cleopatra?

Duane Roller clears up Cleopatra

I found on the Oxford Blog an interview with Duane Roller who recently wrote a book about Cleopatra, thought that might be interesting for this discussion...

Cleopatra Podcast

Duane Roller answers the question: Who was the real Cleopatra?

Duane Roller clears up Cleopatra

Incidentally, since Caesar was well out of the picture before Cleopatra made a move on Antony, does this still count as a 'love triangle'?

Obviously, Julius Caesar was dead when Antony made his move on Cleopatra. The answer to your question, however, is "yes." ;)

Let me play amateur psychologist: Antony was subordinate and (usually) loyal to Julius Caesar. Upon Caesar's death, Antony wanted to emulate and even surpass Caesar's success (and possibly his romantic conquests).

At the time of Caesar's death, Caesar was planning a campaign against the Parthians. Antony, then, felt driven to pursue a rather reckless campaign against Parthia. This was pointless since the Roman General Ventidius had mostly neutralized the Parthian threat to the region before Antony's fruitless efforts. Why else would Antony waste the best opportunity to dominate Octavian, who was the weaker partner at that time?

Now, let me play pro-Octavian propagandist: Antony then took 70,000 valuable troops to fullfill his fantasies of surpassing even the great Julius Caesar with a defeat of Parthia. Unfortunately, his campaign ended in disaster at Phraaspa, resulting in the loss of half his men and much of his treasury.

This forced Antony further into the clutches of the manipulative (and former lover of Caesar) Cleopatra, abandoning his wife Octavia, and giving Octavian the perfect excuse for Roman hostilities against Antony.

I think most Romans preferred this Roman couple (Antony with Octavia):

http://www.ancientmoney.org/ri/antony_octavia_cisto.html

I'll stop here because most people know the rest of the history better than I.

In summary, yes, it was a strange psychological "love triangle."

guy also known as gaius

Note: I want to thank John N. for creating and sharing such a great collection of coins. He is a true friend to both numismatists and scholars.

Edited by guy

Wow:

While reviewing some old posts for research purposes on another topic, I found this post by Pantagathus from three years ago on the same subject as this thread.

It is fun reading this old post. My apologies to everyone for not previously acknowledging this great thread. :oops:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...=Cleopatra+coin

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy