UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Antonia Caenis

Nephele

"After the death of his wife [Vespasian] resumed his relations with Caenis, freedwoman and amanuensis of Antonia, and formerly his mistress; and even after he became emperor he treated her almost as a lawful wife." -- Suetonius, The Life of Vespasian, 3.

In Lindsey Davis' novel Two for the Lions, Antonia Caenis is a pivotal character. I have to admit that it was this novel that now has me intrigued with the lady -- a former slave who rose to considerable power (or, at the very least, considerable recognition) through being the long-term mistress of the emperor Vespasian.

I would love to know more about Antonia Caenis

And, also, are there any other comparable rags-to-riches stories involving women in Rome -- particularly former slaves who became mistresses of emperors?

-- Nephele

Theodora, wife of Justinian? Possibly Antonina, wife of Belisarius?

And, also, are there any other comparable rags-to-riches stories involving women in Rome -- particularly former slaves who became mistresses of emperors?

-- Nephele

Theodora, wife of Justinian? Possibly Antonina, wife of Belisarius?

Ah, I'd forgotten Theodora! Many thanks for jogging the old memory. She was another one I'd encountered in fiction many years ago, in the novel Theodora by Jack Oleck (1971).

-- Nephele

Apparently Domitianus didn't like her:

"From his youth he was far from being of an affable disposition, but was on the contrary presumptuous and unbridled both in act and in word. When his father's concubine Caenis returned from Histria and offered to kiss him as usual, he held out his hand to her." (Suetonius, Domitianus, 12.3)

Cassius Dio mention that she help her mistress Antonia pass the famous secret message in which she warn Tiberius about Sejanus and that she got rich during Vespasianus reign:

"It was at this time that Caenis, the concubine of Vespasian, died. I mention her because she was exceedingly faithful and was gifted with a most excellent memory. Here is an illustration. Her mistress Antonia, the mother of Claudius, had once employed her as secretary in writing a secret letter to Tiberius about Sejanus 2 and had immediately ordered the message to be erased, in order that no trace of it might be left. Thereupon she replied: "It is useless, mistress, for you to give this command; for not only this but as whatever else you dictate to me I always carry in my mind and it can never be erased." 3 And not only for this reason does she seem to me to have been a remarkable woman, but also because Vespasian took such excessive delight in her. This gave her the greatest influence and she amassed untold wealth, so that it was even p289thought that he made money through Caenis herself as his intermediary. For she received vast sums from many sources, sometimes selling governorships, sometimes procuratorships, generalships and priesthoods, and in some instance even imperial decisions. 4 For although Vespasian killed no one on account of his money, he did spare the lives of many who gave it; and while it was Caenis who received the money, people suspected that Vespasian willingly allowed her to do as she did." (Cassius Dio, 65.14)

This article mention that her home was at the Villa Patrizi adjacent to the ancient Via Nomertana.

I also found as inscription (CIL 06, 12037) that mention her.

• 1 month later...

If you enjoyed Lindsay Davis's noval on Antonia Caenis, she also has a novel called "The Course of Honor" which focuses entirely on the love story between her and Vespansian.

If you enjoyed Lindsay Davis's noval on Antonia Caenis, she also has a novel called "The Course of Honor" which focuses entirely on the love story between her and Vespansian.

Thanks, Fulvia! I had already discovered that book, but I'm still steadily working my way through Davis' Falco novels first.

Belated thanks to you, too, Ingsoc, for that information!

-- Nephele