UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Majorianus Invictus

Praetorian; Novel Idea

I have read Simon Scarrows The Eagle series, Altimari's Legion, the Soldier of Rome by James Mace, the beginning book of the Empire series by Anthony Riches, and other novels centering around the Roman Legion. I love them all, and I want to delve into fiction of Rome as well. I also want to do something original. Inspiration is one thing, but blatant imitation is another.

I settled on a series I will call Praetorian. I have no time period chosen, because much research is yet ahead of me. I come to you, my friends at UNRV, to cut through the red tape so to speak. I am looking for great moments in the Praetorian history. They are often, and deservedly so, protrayed negatively, but surely there were acts of bravery, battles where they fought with ferocity and dignity? Individuals who stood out? If you know of any such moments please, I would be most appreciative. As always, thanks to all who read and respond. You each have my respect.

sincerely,

H. Majorianus Invictus.

Edited by Majorianus Invictus

I have read Simon Scarrows The Eagle series, Altimari's Legion, the Soldier of Rome by James Mace, the beginning book of the Empire series by Anthony Riches, and other novels centering around the Roman Legion. I love them all, and I want to delve into fiction of Rome as well. I also want to do something original. Inspiration is one thing, but blatant imitation is another.

I settled on a series I will call Praetorian. I have no time period chosen, because much research is yet ahead of me. I come to you, my friends at UNRV, to cut through the red tape so to speak. I am looking for great moments in the Praetorian history. They are often, and deservedly so, protrayed negatively, but surely there were acts of bravery, battles where they fought with ferocity and dignity? Individuals who stood out? If you know of any such moments please, I would be most appreciative. As always, thanks to all who read and respond. You each have my respect.

sincerely,

H. Majorianus Invictus.

Well, I'd stop off at Wiki first of all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praetorian_Guard

Which details some actions they were involved in, and I'm sure some more digging will provide some literary sources - those Osprey books are pretty good (I'm sure I've got the Preatorians one somewhere).

Thing is, the Praetorians will give you two angles to pursue: yes, there's the combat side of things but also you'll have loads of scope for political machination plots as well.

Anyroad - good luck and happy writing.

Cheers

Russ

Lanista (Russ),

First, thank you kindly for your words of encouragement. At the moment, I am leaning towards the turbulent, yet decisive period that begins with the death of Claudius Gothicus, and the restoration of the Roman world by Aurelian. With the rise of the Illyrian Officer cadre, and the intrigue they themselves spawned, it seems a fertile period to explore.

The Praetorians, recruited from Italian stock, had been plagued with a series of non-roman Emperors, starting in my novels case, with Septimius Severus, the Syrian who purged their rank in favor of his own, and a long line of soldier Emperors, like Thrax, Phillip the Arab, and Decius, just to highlight a few. Then finally, Valerian, and the heir to be Gallenius! Saviors of Rome from a traditional senatorial family of pure roman blood! Alas, it was not meant to be.

A quick side note here. For those of you that have read my posts here at UNRV, you know that they often pertain to barbarians within the ranks of the Legions.

So, into this climate young Primus Messienus Castus has been chosen to serve in the Praetorian Guard, obviously with the aid of his very influential father, a well respected Senator, who paved the way with well placed donations that were needed to soothe the worries of those who have very legitimate concerns in Rome. Castus' mother is in fact a romanized woman from Sirmium. Now the source I saw (please correct me if I am wrong), said that Aurelian had a daughter, though no name is mentioned. I could easily use this lack of evidence to my advantage, and have Castus' father be her husband, and he in turn Aurelian's grandson. It only says Aurelian married Ulpia Severina before becoming Emperor, so the timeline is open for this insertion of a fictional character given that the Emperor died at sixty. The boy would be perfectly placed, watching his Grandfather's back, as he sought to save Rome.

I hope to illustrate the struggle between roman and romanized barbarian through his eyes, the racism and hatred he experiences, and highlight the difficult choices he will have to make as his grandfathers reign rises to a zenith and then plummets into intrigue.

Alamanni, Zenobia, the Gallic Empire, the religious reformations, Felicissimus' rebellion, and his grandfathers final death at the hands of the very Praetorians he serves in! Seems they believed a Secretary, Eros, who had lied about a minor matter, who then covered it up by spreading rumors of Aurelians' coming purge (he was a stern bastard). Imagine young Messienus as he races headlong into fate!

Ok, I am done, lol. Just an outline of what is to come, but I believe it has merit and it is original. I do have a request. If the good lady Nephele would be so kind as to look at the name Messienus and see if it is a genuine name. It caught my eye, but one can never be sure of its autheticity. I also used Primus as his Praenomen. I really like it with so few choices and too many overused (how many Marcus' can there be!) names.

sincerely,

H. Majorianus Invictus

Ok, I am done, lol. Just an outline of what is to come, but I believe it has merit and it is original. I do have a request. If the good lady Nephele would be so kind as to look at the name Messienus and see if it is a genuine name. It caught my eye, but one can never be sure of its autheticity. I also used Primus as his Praenomen. I really like it with so few choices and too many overused (how many Marcus' can there be!) names.

A "Publius Messienus" appears to have been recorded in history as a friend of Cicero -- being a member of the Equestrian rank. Other than that, I couldn't find any examples of this nomen gentilicium in my copy of Broughton's Magistrates. That "-enus" ending looks as though your man's family may have come from Picenum or Umbria. For a similar-sounding nomen, there was a Gaius Messius (not of patrician rank) who served in a few magisterial positions in the '50s BCE. But I think Messienus works just fine, too.

As to the chosen cognomen of your character

Thanks Nephele, that information was much needed. I will keep you guys updated.

Lanista (Russ),

First, thank you kindly for your words of encouragement. At the moment, I am leaning towards the turbulent, yet decisive period that begins with the death of Claudius Gothicus, and the restoration of the Roman world by Aurelian. With the rise of the Illyrian Officer cadre, and the intrigue they themselves spawned, it seems a fertile period to explore.

The Praetorians, recruited from Italian stock, had been plagued with a series of non-roman Emperors, starting in my novels case, with Septimius Severus, the Syrian who purged their rank in favor of his own, and a long line of soldier Emperors, like Thrax, Phillip the Arab, and Decius, just to highlight a few. Then finally, Valerian, and the heir to be Gallenius! Saviors of Rome from a traditional senatorial family of pure roman blood! Alas, it was not meant to be.

A quick side note here. For those of you that have read my posts here at UNRV, you know that they often pertain to barbarians within the ranks of the Legions.

So, into this climate young Primus Messienus Castus has been chosen to serve in the Praetorian Guard, obviously with the aid of his very influential father, a well respected Senator, who paved the way with well placed donations that were needed to soothe the worries of those who have very legitimate concerns in Rome. Castus' mother is in fact a romanized woman from Sirmium. Now the source I saw (please correct me if I am wrong), said that Aurelian had a daughter, though no name is mentioned. I could easily use this lack of evidence to my advantage, and have Castus' father be her husband, and he in turn Aurelian's grandson. It only says Aurelian married Ulpia Severina before becoming Emperor, so the timeline is open for this insertion of a fictional character given that the Emperor died at sixty. The boy would be perfectly placed, watching his Grandfather's back, as he sought to save Rome.

I hope to illustrate the struggle between roman and romanized barbarian through his eyes, the racism and hatred he experiences, and highlight the difficult choices he will have to make as his grandfathers reign rises to a zenith and then plummets into intrigue.

Alamanni, Zenobia, the Gallic Empire, the religious reformations, Felicissimus' rebellion, and his grandfathers final death at the hands of the very Praetorians he serves in! Seems they believed a Secretary, Eros, who had lied about a minor matter, who then covered it up by spreading rumors of Aurelians' coming purge (he was a stern bastard). Imagine young Messienus as he races headlong into fate!

sincerely,

H. Majorianus Invictus

You have a very interesting idea for a novel.

I myself would like to see (when reading) both a lot of political intrigue and lots of stuff going on behind the scenes, but I would also like to see the main character going to a far flung stretch of the Empire, and interacting with the legions. It would be great to see what they think of the Praetorian Guard. Of course you will have to research about Roman life at the time and the growing problems the Empire had. At this time, the Guard were very corrupt, and usually took bribes to kill and assassinate etc. It would be good for a 'good' Praetorian to be in their midst, along with a few good souls who he would befriend, both in the Guard and in the city of Rome itself.

I would love to see a battle of political intrigue that would take the main character all over the Empire, as well as all over the different parts of Rome. It would be nice to hear a story of the Praetorian Guard.

I would like to see the finished product:).

I like the idea.

I have toyed with the idea of writing, but I get bogged down in my lack of knowledge of details of the Rome. The details are the background, yes, but make the story believable and interesting.

Edited by Artimi

This sounds like a really interesting vein to mine.

I agree with those who have suggested mixing the military and political role of the Guard.

Lots of potential mortal and moral conflicts to explore:

- How were the privileged Guard viewed by the more rank-and-file legionaries?

- If, as was suggested, he wanders off into the far reaches of the empire, how would he be received? What challenges would he encounter?

- Where does your character stand given the Guard's history of choosing and eliminating emperors?

- Does he start off idealistic and veer towards opportunistic?

- Is he in agreement with his commanders, or does he see things differently?

- How is Christianity diffusing into the ruling class and, by extension, those who Guard it?

- Perhaps the broader question is how are Roman beliefs changing. Is your guardsman a member of a cult (Mithras?) and, if so, are his beliefs challenged?

Just a few thoughts that might spice up the story!

Good luck!

RSG

If you haven't already you may find 'The Roman Army, 31 BC - AD 337 A Sourcebook' by Brian Campbell a useful source; not least for the fact that several of the Praetorian memorials listed there seem to indicate the fact that they could have a varied career both before joining and after leaving the praetorians.

The series (if it gets to that), will be called Praetorian; Blood of the Empire.

I am working on a short prologue just to see if the time period I am angling for will generate some interest. I will post it in the coming days. Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Keep it coming. Who needs editors, when I have you guys! lol.

Also, you'll want to keep in mind that the name "Castus" was recently used for the main character in another work of fiction: De Bello Lemures by Thomas Brookside (who happens to be a member of UNRV).

Out of respect for Mr. Brookside the character in question has been renamed Primus Messenius Rapax.

The idea of him being Aurelian's grandson is very good, but would it leave you much in the way of wiggle-room for interesting plot devices? I'm not all that convinced that the Emperor's granson would need much in the way of influential backscratching on his behalf to get him into the Praetorians. Especially if Aurellian benefited by having a trusted family member looking out for him.

If that was not the case, you would have to fill out a whole back story for his ancestors, as their successes and failures would have greatly effected how he is viewed by his peers, and also how he views himself. If his ancestry had achieved great things, the same would be expected of him, but he would also have been indoctrinated with very cocky self belief.

Perhaps to add to his struggle against terrible odds his family would have originated quite low in the social classes - maybe his father was a "Homo Novus". He would have been much less respected, but would still have been able to grease the wheels with money and favour.

So, if not the Emperor's family, what class is Primus Messenius Rapax exactly? This would have affected his rank in the Praetorian guard (presumably Tribune - the son of any quality family would have been on the Cursus Honorum). Even if he starts as a pleb he can still go places - look at Lucius Vorenus in HBO Rome.

Also, you need a love interest. If he's any kind of Patrician class, his marriage would have been a political one, allowing him to take other lovers - plenty to go at story-wise there, especially if one of them was part of the Imperial family.

If he's a tribune, and he's travelling around the empire, then it wasn't unusual for kidnappings to happen. Ceasar's experience with the pirates springs to mind.

Some things there to think about.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Thank you GhostofClayton, that gives me much to ponder. A most helpful reply. I have been toying with him being of good Italian stock, though not Patrician by birth. How would they feel toward a non-Roman Emperor? Especially within the guard, who mostly were Italian. And, according to one source, Aurelian participated in the assassination of Gallienus, and supported Claudius II for the purple, with the help of the Praetorian Prefect, Heraclianus. Did Aurelian seek to purge the guard after Claudius' death to hide his own part in the murder?

As well, with Aurelian's push to make Sol Invictus the One God, could there be some closet Christian's within the guard? I am not sure if it is feasible, but it would make interesting religious intrigue on top of the political scheming. Felix, bishop of Rome, was advanced to the Roman See in 274. He was the first martyr to Aurelian's petulancy, being beheaded on the 22d of December, in the same year. I can see this fervent believer trying to counter the Emperor's every move for change, using the public and his sources within the Guard.

Just a few thoughts, but your reply gave me some ideas to work on.

Thank you GhostofClayton, that gives me much to ponder. A most helpful reply. I have been toying with him being of good Italian stock, though not Patrician by birth. How would they feel toward a non-Roman Emperor? Especially within the guard, who mostly were Italian. And, according to one source, Aurelian participated in the assassination of Gallienus, and supported Claudius II for the purple, with the help of the Praetorian Prefect, Heraclianus. Did Aurelian seek to purge the guard after Claudius' death to hide his own part in the murder?

As well, with Aurelian's push to make Sol Invictus the One God, could there be some closet Christian's within the guard? I am not sure if it is feasible, but it would make interesting religious intrigue on top of the political scheming. Felix, bishop of Rome, was advanced to the Roman See in 274. He was the first martyr to Aurelian's petulancy, being beheaded on the 22d of December, in the same year. I can see this fervent believer trying to counter the Emperor's every move for change, using the public and his sources within the Guard.

Just a few thoughts, but your reply gave me some ideas to work on.

From an author's point of view, I think you may have struck gold with the Christian / Pagan Sun God subject. Any Pagan v Christian theme really seems to catch the punters' imaginations. When I do the Hadrian's Wall tour, I usually choose the Mithraeum at Procolitia to give clients a little lecture on Roman Religion in general, but focusing on how Christian worship evolved from Pagan worship, (he says . . . like he's some sort of expert). There are more questions/discussions following that one than any othe lecture I give. Aurellian tortured many Christians to death in some pretty horrible ways. More grist for the author's mill. Even a faily intelectual readership is more bloodthirsty than it cares to admit. Apparently, one chritian legion was decimated, and then decimated again, and then put to death as a whole.

And remember, religious intrigue and political scheming were not the two seperate issues they are in secular western societies of today. It would have been difficult to separate the two.

Attitudes towards non-Italians in positions of power? I'll leave that one for more expert contributors than me. I would've thought that by that time it wouldn't have been an issue, but I can't really say.

Did Aurellian purge the guard to cover up his role in a murder? Other emperors did similar things . . . and you are allowed to play fast and loose with history to a certain degree. A list of authors who also played fast & loose with history would include Suetonius, Tacitus, Cassius Dio, Livy, etc., etc.