UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stuffs

How Christianity Helped Rome.

Well, I'm trying to get started here.. But not having much luck finding how Christianity HELPED the Roman Empire. All I find is how it helped in the fall of the empire, and that it hindered progress. Can anyone just get me started, or at least tell me that this thesis is impossible to do?

Perhaps you should focus on how it may have helped individual people, maybe not the empire as a whole.

Just some thoughts that may help get you started... Christianity was among the first groups to introduce public charity and medical care. Public hospitals (military had been around for centuries) first appeared in the Christian era. Christianity created a sense of hope for the masses that faced confusion and uncertainty as the imperial power crumbled in the west. The church remained a beacon of organized and generally consistent leadership as the west broke into factions tribes, and eventually nation states.

Guest spartacus

Dear Stuffs

I agree, material on Chistianity and Rome is hard to find!

When I have wanted books on roman subjects A reliable source I use is Waterstones!

For their website use your search-engine, they have a first rate delivery service too!

If anyone has a book on christianity then waterstones will - worth a try!

Best of luck

Regards

Spartacus

You could argue what primuspilus was hinting at, which is that Christianity gave the empire a certain identity, an ecclesiastical cohesion, and much needed charity in dark times. And this worked as long as everyone was on the same page of Christianity. When different conceptions of Christianity were formulated, there were however problems...

Gibbons wrote much on Christianity's impact on Rome. Unfortunately for you he takes the exact opposite stance in regards to the religion's usefullness.

I suppose you could argue that the fall of the Empire in the west would have happened anyway, with or without Christianity( or at least that Christianity did not precipitate it ). You could then point out how the fanatical iconoclast Emperors of the eighth century saved an eastern Empire which would carry on for another seven hundred years - this of course means including the later Byzantine Empire as part of the true Roman Empire despite it being a very different animal by this stage, so maybe thats a whole new argument you don't want to have to make. To mention the Holy Roman Empire would be just taking the piss so all I can think of is that Constantine the Great forged a fairly healthy Christian Roman Empire - would the Empire have been on the slide earlier than it eventually was had he not appeared? - Basically, play up the post Constantine Empire and play down the state of the pagan pre-Constantine Empire.

Its a toughie and no mistake, cos Christianity certainly hurt rather than helped.

I will let other people make comments on what Christianity brought to the Roman Empire..but I can tell you that here we say "Quod non fecerunt barbari Barberini fecerunt"..with reference to the dear Pope Maffeo Barberini =) I'll let the saying speak for itself <_<

Hi Silentium

Could you please translate that for us? "Quod non fecerunt barbari Barberini fecerunt"

Thanks

I am still studying latin so will do my best and I am not familar with the noun barbari but will translate the other words

What barbarians have not accomplished Barberini accomplished. I think its pretty close to that.

dear Sparticus,

i totally agree, it may have helped the fall but wasn't one of the roman generals a christian and wasn't that at their best point (military wise) i'm not sure

please correct me if im wrong!!

regards,

Amcrazyus

I am still studying latin so will do my best and I am not familar with the noun barbari but will translate the other words

What barbarians have not accomplished Barberini accomplished. I think its pretty close to that.

Don't cut yourself short, Pompeius. You just can't translate it because its a proper name :)

Well.. I'm a procrastinator so I still haven't started it.. I'm debating on whether to change my thesis or not.. So far I'm picking between Christianity and Rome and How the Poor farmers/peasants helped in the fall of Rome.

Which one do you guys think I should do? And thanks for all your hlep.

Guest spartacus

I agree PM, in fact if you look back through history you will find the root cause of wars originated from religion!

Its about time someone agrees with me. I always press this idea and nobody ever agrees with me. I have a post back somewhere about CHrisitnaities Impact on Fall of Roman empire. Maybe Primus can dig it up or if not its back a couple pages i think.