UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Kosmo

Romans in music

ME LIKEY!

White Skull: The Roman Empire

Victorious men walk thru' the land

Shadows huddled in the groins into the maze

Where are you chief? Your soldiers wait

Once again the Romans want to extend its edge.

Hard tiring days and sleepless nights

Marchin'on thru' hasty lands and evil hill

Rain of sharp spears fall upon them

Once again it's time to attack the enemies

Give them money and glory

They will follow Caesar and threat the enemies

just follow him painting from exitement

don't turn down in anger

Caesar change the world in the kingdom of Rome

[Chorus]

RISE The Roman Empire It's shining so bright

I actually muted the grunts after a while and just watched the rest of the video in silence. :P

I had the benfit of watching it in silence first time around (didn't want to disturb the rest of the office). One perceived (by me) inaccuracy became more obvious that way - the guy playing Octavian looks more how I'd imagine Mark Antony, and vice versa (but less so).

I actually muted the grunts after a while and just watched the rest of the video in silence. :P

I had the benfit of watching it in silence first time around (didn't want to disturb the rest of the office). One perceived (by me) inaccuracy became more obvious that way - the guy playing Octavian looks more how I'd imagine Mark Antony, and vice versa (but less so).

and Cleopatra looks hot! That's a really bad mistake :P

You raise a good point, Kosmo. Cleopatra has always been portraiyed as a stunner (I'll go with Amanda Barrie in Carry on Cleo as my favourite, how about you?), but on the coins . . . well, she was no Theda Bara, put it like that. Maybe tastes have changed.

Hang on a minute . . . I've just realised where Nephele got her avatar from. How dim have I been?

You raise a good point, Kosmo. Cleopatra has always been portraiyed as a stunner (I'll go with Amanda Barrie in Carry on Cleo as my favourite, how about you?), but on the coins . . . well, she was no Theda Bara, put it like that. Maybe tastes have changed.

Hang on a minute . . . I've just realised where Nephele got her avatar from. How dim have I been?

Vivien Leigh was perfect as Shaw's cute and naive Cleopatra.

I listened to this song on my MP3 player a few years back early one October morning inside the Roman colosseum. I was really overcome with emotion. (It could have been the jet lag since this song deals with the Catholic church, not Ancient Rome...but I was moved by its stentorian grandeur, anyway.) B)

Words/Music: Slick

Sunrise

Surprise

Civilized Man

You were keeper to me

Now your animal is free

you're free to die

Oh oh oh

You're old and your hands are gray

Your old go home and stay

We've all heard you dirty stories

Two thousand years

Two thousand years

Two thousand years

Of your

God damn

Glory

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Here's a great Iron Maiden song with a Roman theme, Wicker Man :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeXO7AqKGOQ

post-3665-0-01954000-1303697473_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicker_man

I'm not a big metal fan, but you have to love this song.

http://classics.mit.edu/Caesar/gallic.6.6.html

From Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars.

Chapter 16

The nation of all the Gauls is extremely devoted to superstitious rites; and on that account they who are troubled with unusually severe diseases, and they who are engaged in battles and dangers, either sacrifice men as victims, or vow that they will sacrifice them, and employ the Druids as the performers of those sacrifices; because they think that unless the life of a man be offered for the life of a man, the mind of the immortal gods can not be rendered propitious, and they have sacrifices of that kind ordained for national purposes. Others have figures of vast size, the limbs of which formed of osiers they fill with living men, which being set on fire, the men perish enveloped in the flames. They consider that the oblation of such as have been taken in theft, or in robbery, or any other offense, is more acceptable to the immortal gods; but when a supply of that class is wanting, they have recourse to the oblation of even the innocent

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Here's another Iron Maiden song with a Roman theme, "The Evil Men Do."

The title of the song is taken from Marcus Antonius's speech while addressing the crowd of Romans after Caesar's murder (Act 3, scene 2, "The Forum") in William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar: "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred [buried] with their bones." Bruce Dickinson may sometimes repeat this before playing the song, but in reverse (as he did in Rock in Rio).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_That_Men_Do_(song)

guy also known as gaius