UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Paulinus Maximus

New Deadliest Warrior

This is only for the UK members,

A new Documntary series of Deadliest Warrior starts tonight on Bravo at 10pm... Roman Centurion V Rajput Warrior....... Wil the Rajput Warrior's evil looking weapons be all flash and no substance when they facethe Roman Centurion's cold steel?

'Tis not the centurion's cold steel Rajput should worry about - isn't the centurion's main weapon the rest of his centuria?

I've only ever seen one Deadliest Warrior where the bloke I wanted to win actually won.

And I was really convinced that it would be the other way around - Spartan vs Ninja...I kept thinking that there was no way the Spartan would be allowed to win.

But he did, I was made up. I'll admit to investing quite of bit of emotional involvement in those fights at the end!

This is without doubt the worst program on television. No seriously, it's martial arts fantasy, not history, and any pretensions to scientific analysis are a little dubious to say the least. The sensationalist style is designed to wow the viewer with details of capable and vicious the warriors were, but notice how stereotypical they present them as, and if you look closely, the program is describing expert one on one combats, not the sort of melee the real men fought, and it assumes all of them were equally capable. In other words, it takes these historical stereotypes and both exaggerates their capabilities and places them out of context.

For kids only. And adults? Remember to tell your kids to study history. You never know, they might learn something.

If you're taking it that seriously, you're rather missing the point.

Gotta agree with you Russ. This show should not be taken seriously, at the endof the day it's just a bit of fun, entertainment based on ancient warfare, that is it! Laugh at it and enjoy it!

It is on Bravo after all!!

You think I take Deadliest Warrior seriously? :blink:

No I don't, but my worry is that some people will, and so the urban myths about these stereotypes are inflated. That means people like us may well have to convince the believers that their fantasies aren't real. Or don't you take history seriously? :lol:

. Or don't you take history seriously? :lol:

Of course I do. That's why one of Lysandra's opponents in Gladiatrix II is an Apache warrior. It was on Deadliest Warrior, but in my version the gladiator wins. Then she fights off ninja assassins - and befriends a samurai. Its great stuff and I'm glad that DW verifies all of it.

As long as historical accuracy is maintained I'm okay with that. Remember that samurai of this period did not use the two swords :D

To know nothing of history is to remain forever a child

Cicero

The Rajput warrior had some serious weaponry going on though!! Must have been a pretty formidable opponent! Plus apparently the Roman Centurion regularly fought with a pick axe?????? :unsure:

The latest installment of this show pits the Somali Pirates against the Medellin Cartel !!!!...........Genius!:lol:

Guest ParatrooperLirelou

This is without doubt the worst program on television. No seriously, it's martial arts fantasy, not history, and any pretensions to scientific analysis are a little dubious to say the least. The sensationalist style is designed to wow the viewer with details of capable and vicious the warriors were, but notice how stereotypical they present them as, and if you look closely, the program is describing expert one on one combats, not the sort of melee the real men fought, and it assumes all of them were equally capable. In other words, it takes these historical stereotypes and both exaggerates their capabilities and places them out of context.

Exactly what pisses me off with this show :angry: The show always puts stereotypical portrayals of warriors in popular media. Particularly, the Samurai VS Viking episode pissed me off, where they showed the Vikings as unsophisticated brutes well in fact in reality Viking hand to hand combat was surprisingly sophisticated as shown in sites recreating Viking swordsmanship as well as their culture as a whole(especially their tradesmandhip and the sophistication of their ship building skills).

However I got to admit the show is getting better in their analysis particularly in the latest episode, "Washington VS Napoleon".

Edited by ParatrooperLirelou

I've only ever seen one Deadliest Warrior where the bloke I wanted to win actually won.

And I was really convinced that it would be the other way around - Spartan vs Ninja...I kept thinking that there was no way the Spartan would be allowed to win.

But he did, I was made up. I'll admit to investing quite of bit of emotional involvement in those fights at the end!

I was surprised by that outcome too. They have a weird tendency to pair up historical warrior types that aren't really suited to each other, or are from completely different eras - such as 18th century Pirate vs a 14th century Medieval Knight. With that one the Pirate won - which makes sense considering he had pistols and grenades - so the fights often feel like a foregone conclusion.