UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sonic

Stilicho

Hello all.

It's recently been brought to my attention that I have failed to inform the readers of this august forum that I have a new book available - via Pen and Sword and all good book shops (and Amazon!). I grovel in abject apology for the oversight and hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive me. :(

'Stilicho: the Vandal Who Saved Rome' was published 30 June 2010 by Pen and Sword and is an attempt to re-evaluate the life and career of the late-Roman magister militum Stilicho using the relatively-meagre sources available.

I hope that you enjoy it and find it useful.

Ian

Hello all.

It's recently been brought to my attention that I have failed to inform the readers of this august forum that I have a new book available - via Pen and Sword and all good book shops (and Amazon!). I grovel in abject apology for the oversight and hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive me. :(

'Stilicho: the Vandal Who Saved Rome' was published 30 June 2010 by Pen and Sword and is an attempt to re-evaluate the life and career of the late-Roman magister militum Stilicho using the relatively-meagre sources available.

Ian

Love the cover picture and I am sure I will enjoy the book. I did Belisarius.

Edited by Artimi

I ordered the book earlier this week from Amazon, it should be here anyday.

Hopefully it will be gold plated too! Well it should be after how much I paid for it!!!! ;)

Have you read the Belisarius book by Lord Mahon??

There aren't many books around about this great Roman, Mahon's book was written in the 1800's so is obviously quite old fashioned in its reading but still very good, although it does rely heavily on Procopius where as Ian's book gives us a much wider insight into the life of Belisarius.

Both are excellent books, although Ian's in probably the better and more entertaining of the two, Lord Mahon's is still worth reading.

Have you read the Belisarius book by Lord Mahon??

There aren't many books around about this great Roman, Mahon's book was written in the 1800's so is obviously quite old fashioned in its reading but still very good, although it does rely heavily on Procopius where as Ian's book gives us a much wider insight into the life of Belisarius.

Both are excellent books, although Ian's in probably the better and more entertaining of the two, Lord Mahon's is still worth reading.

Thank you both for the nice words. It's very much appreciated. I agree that Lord Mahon's work is worth reading. The only problem with it is that, as you say, Mahon accepts Procopius' story at face value, whereas recent research has shown that Procopius either covered-up or didn't know of other events, such as the two battles early in Belisarius' career, both of which were lost.

I ordered the book earlier this week from Amazon, it should be here anyday.

Hopefully it will be gold plated too! Well it should be after how much I paid for it!!!! ;)

Gold plated?? Ye Gods - how much did you pay for it? :o

Hello all.

Ian

Ian:

Your book is already on my "must read list." Both Stilicho and the later Aetius are tragic examples of Rome's lost opportunites to save itself. (Does UNRV have a link to Amazon.com to order the book in order support UNRV?)

Are you coming to the US for a book signing (perhaps Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas) :naughty: so I can get my book (and your excellent Belisarius book) signed?

Good luck on latest work.

guy also known as gaius

I have added you book and Lord Mahon's book to my wish list.

I had to be ruthless with my wish list- there were some books that actually said to me- delete or remove me from the list... you really dont want me..

and they were right:)

It's good to see that it's published now Ian, as I know that you've been working on it for a long time! :) I will certainly try to read it as soon as possible.

It's good to see that it's published now Ian, as I know that you've been working on it for a long time! :) I will certainly try to read it as soon as possible.

Thank a lot for the support. It's very much appreciated.

Yes, it took quite a while to write 'Stilicho', but it was a picnic compared to the one I'm writing now on 'Aetius'. Every time I think I've got things sorted, I find another little piece of evidence - for example a line from Sidonius - and have to go back and ....

Darn frustrating at times!! :unsure:

Congrats on Stilicho, Ian and am looking forward to hearing more on Aetius (hint) :)

Yes, it took quite a while to write 'Stilicho', but it was a picnic compared to the one I'm writing now on 'Aetius'.

A book on Aetius! Damn! :lol: Another book on my "must read list."

Ian: Was Aetius an Arian Christian (as, I believe, Stilicho was)?

I think history minimizes the importance and significance of the tensions between the orthodox Roman Catholic church and other diverse Christian groups, such as the Arians.

guy also known as gaius

Yes, it took quite a while to write 'Stilicho', but it was a picnic compared to the one I'm writing now on 'Aetius'.

A book on Aetius! Damn! :lol: Another book on my "must read list."

Ian: Was Aetius an Arian Christian (as, I believe, Stilicho was)?

I think history minimizes the importance and significance of the tensions between the orthodox Roman Catholic church and other diverse Christian groups, such as the Arians.

guy also known as gaius

Sorry, Aetius was a Catholic. I agree that religion was an important facet of the times. Tensions between religious groups, especially in Africa, could lead to unrest and even the possibility of the inhabitants siding with the barbarian invaders. However, it needs to be remembered that the 'Germanic' generals in both East and West (by the time of Aetius Germanic generals were again dominant in the East!) were probably either Arians or had converted to Catholicism, so the religious leanings of the men at the top may have been seen as a nuisance but not as a bar to high rank - as long as they were good at their job!

Sorry, Aetius was a Catholic. I agree that religion was an important facet of the times. Tensions between religious groups, especially in Africa, could lead to unrest and even the possibility of the inhabitants siding with the barbarian invaders.

One of the ways in which Christianity contributed to the fall of Rome.

Under paganism things were quite simple. All that was required was for individuals to offer a superficial aquiescence (offering a sacrifice) to the gods of the empire. With Christianity things got very complicated. It wasn't enough to declare oneself a Christian. One had to come to terms with the ideology of the faith. People could not agree on issues such as the nature of Christ, and they took these disagreements very seriously. Christianity became divisive and affected the unity of the empire.

Hello all.

Ian

I have not read your book yet, but I do plan to read it eventually. Arther Ferrill's The Fall of the Roman Empire implicates Stilicho as part of the problem, i.e. he continued the short-sighted policy of Theodosius.

I have not read your book yet, but I do plan to read it eventually. Arther Ferrill's The Fall of the Roman Empire implicates Stilicho as part of the problem, i.e. he continued the short-sighted policy of Theodosius.

I agree that in effect the policy could be classed as short-sighted, yet I think this attitude is a little unfair. After all, we have the benefit of hindsight ... ;)