UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
GhostOfClayton

What's the last Roman site you visited?

Tragically the Romans don't appear to have ever added America to their Empire, so I have yet to walk on the same ground as any caligae.

The very last Roman site that I visited was Herculaneum in April of this year. Of course on this latest trip I visited Pompeii, but to be honest, I found Herculaneum to be more interesting and mysterious. Ostia Antica still remains my favorite site due to the freedom one has in walking the grounds and contemplating life as a Roman some 2,000 years ago.

While you were in the area, did you visit the 'Villa Poppea' at Oplontis? I would urge anyone visiting the Pompeii/Herculaneum area to allow time in their itinerary to visit, even if you have to forego the statuary trip up the volcano. One word of warning, you have to walk through quite a rough looking area from the car park to the villa, so watch your valuables.

Egypt would count, right? I was there in 1994. I forgot all about that. :rolleyes:

I can't let you get away without Roman specifics Christina. I would be neglecting my duties.

While you were in the area, did you visit the 'Villa Poppea' at Oplontis? I would urge anyone visiting the Pompeii/Herculaneum area to allow time in their itinerary to visit, even if you have to forego the statuary trip up the volcano. One word of warning, you have to walk through quite a rough looking area from the car park to the villa, so watch your valuables.

Another word of advice regarding this, if you go to Oplontis and feel that you really don't have too much time on your hands, know that Stabiae basically is a smaller, less spectacular version of that villa (I am happy thou, that I took my time getting there). The sites at Stabiae are also terribly difficult to find.

Another word of advice regarding this, if you go to Oplontis and feel that you really don't have too much time on your hands, know that Stabiae basically is a smaller, less spectacular version of that villa (I am happy thou, that I took my time getting there). The sites at Stabiae are also terribly difficult to find.

Good tip, Klingan. Sadly, I ran out of time, so didn't get to Stabiae.

I should say what other visits I did manage while I was in the area:

Pompeii

Herculanium

Oplontis

Salerno (some good Roman bits 'n' bobs)

Paestum - Good bus ride away, but almost as much of a highlight as Pompeii or Herculaneum.

Veduta_di_Paestum_2010.jpg

Two of the three Temples at Paestum

The very last Roman site that I visited was Herculaneum in April of this year. Of course on this latest trip I visited Pompeii, but to be honest, I found Herculaneum to be more interesting and mysterious. Ostia Antica still remains my favorite site due to the freedom one has in walking the grounds and contemplating life as a Roman some 2,000 years ago.

I did not. I took the Circumvesuviana back and forth from Sorrento to Naples, but I do think that Opilontis is a stop on the route. So is the neighborhood more "rough looking" than Ercolano? I know that the posts I read prior to my trip said to stay on the main street that leads to Herculaneum, so I complied.

I did not make it to Stabiae either. Just not enough time.

Good tip, Klingan. Sadly, I ran out of time, so didn't get to Stabiae.

I should say what other visits I did manage while I was in the area:

Pompeii

Herculanium

Oplontis

Salerno (some good Roman bits 'n' bobs)

Paestum - Good bus ride away, but almost as much of a highlight as Pompeii or Herculaneum.

Veduta_di_Paestum_2010.jpg

Two of the three Temples at Paestum

Those temples are very Greek in appearance, not surprisingly. I will add Paestum to my list of must see locations. Thank you!

Egypt would count, right? I was there in 1994. I forgot all about that. :rolleyes:

I can't let you get away without Roman specifics Christina. I would be neglecting my duties.

Darn.

Unfortunately, this is as close as I can get for now. (Not a bad second choice, however.)

post-3665-067038700 1285819775_thumb.jpg

post-3665-026176600 1285819961_thumb.jpg

post-3665-015108400 1285820681_thumb.jpg

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

I went yesterday to Amsterdam, an unplanned day trip to visit the Alexander the Great exibit going on at the Hermitage Museum (a branch of the one in St Petersburg (Ru)) and used the opportunity to visit the Rijksmuseum (with amongst others about a dozen Rembrandt and half a dozen Vermeer) and the Allard-Pierson Archeology museum (the University's classical archeology museum) and found myself in front of some truly magnificient pieces of ancient art from various part of the Empire and beyhond.

While the Hermitage's Alexander exibit offers fine art in bad museography and without a true coherence but at a huge (15

Unfortunately for now I have only been to Rome and Pompeii. However I want to go find my way to Colchester, and when the rules in the Middle East lighten up, I want to get to Anatakya (Antioch, now in Turkey) and Petra.

when the rules in the Middle East lighten up, I want to get to Anatakya (Antioch, now in Turkey) and Petra.

There are no restrictions for visiting Turkey or Jordan and both countries have very good greek and roman sites besides the ones you mention like Byzantium, Ephesus, Side in Turkey and Gerasa in Jordan. I've been many times in Turkey and there are still lots of classical sites I did not get to see including Antioch.

Does British Museum counts as a roman site? That was my last visit.

Of course. Museums with good Roman exhibits are positively encouraged on this thread.

when the rules in the Middle East lighten up, I want to get to Anatakya (Antioch, now in Turkey) and Petra.

There are no restrictions for visiting Turkey or Jordan and both countries have very good greek and roman sites besides the ones you mention like Byzantium, Ephesus, Side in Turkey and Gerasa in Jordan. I've been many times in Turkey and there are still lots of classical sites I did not get to see including Antioch.

Unfortunately for me, my circumstances (I'm Jewish) make me sort of afraid to go to the Middle East.