UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
GhostOfClayton

What's the last Roman site you visited?

Riding on the wave of popularity of "What's the last book you read?" (in the Colosseum forum). How about "What's the last Roman site you visited?"

I'll start the ball rolling with Caistor Roman Town in Lincolnshire. Disappointingly, there's only a short stretch of the wall left - not worth a visit, really.

On reflection, I should've started this topic just after visiting somewhere more exciting, like Lancaster. Too late now, though.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Greco-Roman Siracusa in Sicily.

We will have our gig this weekend at the museum on the site where they found a Roman villa rustica in Bad Kreuznach (near Mainz). I look forward to see this place and hope to have some time between the gigs to have a closer look at the gladiator mosaic.

Strictly speaking there was a romano-british farmyard at the bottom of the hill where I live, so I pass it every day. Sadly someone built Swindon on top of it. That said, the area is due for redevelopment soon so with luck some archaeology might turn up.

I suppose strictly speaking I should say London for the same reason but it has to be a certain Romano-British Temple complex in a field a short way from Abingdon last July which we have one more year of excavation to try and unpick before the report writing starts in earnest.

Unless you count Moscow as "The Third Rome" according to Tsarist propoganda, where I spent a few weeks as a student, I've never been to Europe. And The Roman never came to Pennsylvania, sadly.

It would be Ravena's roman remains that would get the title, with some early empire villa's mosaics underground and of course all the Byzantine remains. I'm currently planning for a visit to Rome in mid-november and use it as a pretext for 2 weeks in Etruria and/or Tuscany and Rome though...

Unless you count Moscow as "The Third Rome" according to Tsarist propoganda, where I spent a few weeks as a student, I've never been to Europe. And The Roman never came to Pennsylvania, sadly.

But you could at least visit museums which have Roman antiquities in their collections. That might not count as a Roman site but at least as something Roman, right? ;-)

:romansoldier:

But you could at least visit museums which have Roman antiquities in their collections. That might not count as a Roman site but at least as something Roman, right? ;-)

I read somewhere a few years back that the Hermitage in St Petersburg (or whatever it is being called now) has the only extant example of a vexillation standard which, if I remember correctly, was found in a Roman-Egyptian burial.

I really must check if that is correct one of these days :romansoldier:

Ab-sol-ute-ly agreed. Museums with Roman artefacts ARE included. And yes, this topic is is a thinly veiled way of getting travel recomendations for my next holidays.

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Ab-sol-ute-ly agreed. Museums with Roman artefacts ARE included. And yes, this topic is is a thinly veiled way of getting travel recomendations for my next holidays.

Oh.

Well, the Walter's Art Museum in Baltimore, MD has an excellent antiquities selection. And it's free admission.

Its probably Hadrian's Wall for me, I come into contact with the Wall quite a lot due to my regular ventures to Scotland and back and when ever I've got a bit of spare time I'll make a little detour to the site of any remains and just have a little wander about for half hour or so.

It's good to get a little Roman fix to break up the day!!:)

Ostia Antica in 2008 (can