UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What's the last Roman site you visited?

GhostOfClayton

When the world is safer one day I will travel to Rome and spend a couple weeks.

I'm intrigued as to why the world needs to be any safer to get to Rome. Do you know something I don't? Should I be worried? Tell all!

I was just referencing the terror threats and bomb explosions at the Swiss and Chilean embassies. Stuff like that. The world's been pretty crazy since 9/11. Crazy stuff happened before obviously, but it seemed to escalate after 9/11. My time spent overseas brought a lot of things to my attention that the average Joe isn't aware of. I'd just rather play it safe for now and wait until things calm down before venturing back as a civilian. Even if that's not for 10, 20, 30 years, that's fine. I'm still in my 20's so time is on my side.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just referencing the terror threats and bomb explosions at the Swiss and Chilean embassies. Stuff like that. The world's been pretty crazy since 9/11. Crazy stuff happened before obviously, but it seemed to escalate after 9/11. My time spent overseas brought a lot of things to my attention that the average Joe isn't aware of. I'd just rather play it safe for now and wait until things calm down before venturing back as a civilian. Even if that's not for 10, 20, 30 years, that's fine. I'm still in my 20's so time is on my side.

I suppose we all have different perceptions of risk and how to manage them, a lot of people I know wouldn't consider going to the States because of the number of 'lunatics' running round with some form of weapon or other (including bombs) that always seem to be presented on TV shows or the various media reports about crime rates there.

Personally having been in London and other parts of the UK during numerous bombings or bomb threats unless something is actively going bang in an area I don't allow the very remote prospect of a random attack prevent me going where I want to go especially if it involves seeing Roman remains.

That said until the current demonstrations are over I probably wouldn't choose to go to Tunisia as a first choice - however once things calm down it will be back up near the top of my list of places to go back to when I get the chance.

For the vast majority of people there is more to worry about than terrorist timescales; earthquakes, volcanoes, fire or flood (not to forget tsunami's) all can happen or you can have a finacial crisis leaving no money to travel.

I suppose that my policy (and advice) boils down to life is too short and there is too much to see to let the remote prospect of a terrorist attack or natural disasters get in the way of going about daily life or for the Romanophile enjoying visiting historic sites. B)

When the world is safer one day I will travel to Rome and spend a couple weeks.

I'm intrigued as to why the world needs to be any safer to get to Rome. Do you know something I don't? Should I be worried? Tell all!

Why not just wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave the house????? :D

There's probably more chance of getting killed or injured crossing the road on your way to the shops as there is being involved in a terrorist attack, so why let those people win? Why deprive yourself of living a full and active life just on the off chance you may be caught up in some random attack????

If your time's up then it's up simple as that!!

I work for a company that sends thousands of clients on thousands of flights every year, and none of those flights have been directly affected by terrorism, (other than having to drink all their water before going through to the departure lounge).

Hawaii sounds really nice, but my advice (and that of anyone else on this forum, I'm sure) is "go for it!"

• 4 months later...