UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Aurelia

Human Meat Just Another Meal for Early Europeans?

Hmmm, "gastronomic cannibalism" doesn

The theory presented is all very well, but I notice that the eaten remains were younger. Something similar happened in the aftermath of the Santorini explosion that destroyed the Minoan Empire. With the economy and commercial links gone, the hard pressed survivors turned to eating their children. It's possible that the fertile lands weren't always as fertile as we might expect, and if the inhabitants didn't indulge in agriculture, then any shortfall in foraged and hunted food would necessitate some harsh measures to preserve survival.

Hmmm, "gastronomic cannibalism" doesn

The protein argument was advanced for Aztec cannibalism some years ago. The argument goes something like this. The Aztec diet was based primarily on beans and corn (maize for you brits) since beans and corn have different growing seasons and both are needed for a complete protein droughts and famines would have created a massive problem for a city of a million. Game animals had been largely wiped out and they had no cattle or pigs. Try feeding a million on game animals. The prime meat sources were dogs and snakes. That in itself produces a dilemma since they require meat themselves.

The mexican painter Diego Rivera participated in a pseudo scientific experiment in which a human cadaver was consumed. Human flesh has been compared to pork in taste. Which would explain why the preparation of Carnitas matches aztec cooking of human. I'm getting hungry here! For those who like barbecue that was how they prepared dog.

It's a quick way to spread prion based deseases (e.g BSE). I would advise against it.