UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
P.Clodius

Quick Latin Test

paolo,

What book are you using ?

Latin for Beginner's by BEN D'OOGE, it was designed to be used with kids in Junior High at the beginning of the 1900's so it is public domain and you can get an e-book copy at www.textkit.com for free. It is really simple and breaks it down real well, at least so far. :ph34r:

Imagine-- there was atime in US history where latin was taught at the Junior High level -- well now we can truly see the effect of the subtitle prejudice of low expectations. :lol:

I just tried to download it with no luck. It downloaded but then said the file was not readable or was corrupted. I can open other pdf files. I tried it on 2 different ones and then tried just to open one on the site. Looks like it could be really helpful, after all you got the same score as me on the test, just after one week !

Foreign languages way too late in schools in the States. There should be more language immersion schools. It's really the only way to truly learn a language. Have you studied other languages ?

paolo,

Took one year of French in High School -- I don't remember much becasue I took it becasue there was a girl I liked in the class. Two years of Greek (Konie) and now I am teaching myself Latin. Want to reveiw my Greek and get more Classical Greek. German and Itailian I would like ot add -- I want to go to Rome and Athens before and there is Ph.D in Rome and Greek History with my name on it. All this is prep work for it.

I was taught Spanish and English from preschool through elementary school, and as a result I have an obvious natural aptitude for learning language (but not typing <_< ) compared most other people I know. I think this is really critical, especially now that different cultures are mixing more than ever before.

Marcus Regulus : what happened to the girl ?

Moonlapse : lucky you, did you learn any others since ? (root words didn't seem to help me as much as you)

paolo,

what happened to the girl ?

You know I don't know -- last I heard she had married some guy and was pregnant but that was 10 years ago. She wouldn't give me the time of day because I was was skinny back then -- 175lbs. and 6 foot 3 inches. Since then I have put on 80 lbs of muscle from lifting weights and I am looking forward to my class reunion in a couple years. Hope she is there. :D

It's too bad you can't download D'ooge becasue it's pretty easy at least so far. Look for it somewhere else.

i got 10/10!!! i'm not lying...

I started this yeatr to study latin, but this test, honestly, it's like a little game. childlish. You should see the school tests i have to pass...

Nine! :bag:

I know very little Latin, but managed to get 10 out of 10.

Usually I knew just one of the words, our what one of the endings meant, and made an educated guess.

Guest Radius Cuius

9/10, I miss the i.d. one. Never know that's id est!!!!

Wow - I got all ten! :blink:

I'm amazed at myself - I took Beginner's Latin at the start of my degree but ended up just leaving it at that... Greek is much more my bag!

Haha, got 10/10. I especially like the last question. :suprise: