UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

The Eagle (Movie)

Here some pre-info of the upcoming movie The Eagle (based on Rosemary Sutcliff Eagle of the Ninth)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034389/

Plot Summary;

In 140 AD, twenty years after the unexplained disappearance of the entire Ninth Legion in the mountains of Scotland, young centurion Marcus Aquila (Tatum) arrives from Rome to solve the mystery and restore the reputation of his father, the commander of the Ninth. Accompanied only by his British slave Esca (Bell), Marcus sets out across Hadrian's Wall into the uncharted highlands of Caledonia - to confront its savage tribes, make peace with his father's memory, and retrieve the lost legion's golden emblem, the Eagle of the Ninth.

Here some pre-info of the upcoming movie The Eagle (based on Rosemary Sutcliff Eagle of the Ninth)

This looks like it will fall somewhere around the Gladiator school of authenticity for equipment and period decorations.

From a quick look we seem to again be trotting out 'leather' as opposed to metal armour and probably knitted mail although the coolis helmets are probably slightly more in period (although a bit out of date) than those seen in many historical 'epics' of old. The walls and gates of the forts seem to be plausibaly authentic as is the building seen in the background of a couple of shots.

However I do really worry about the late Medieval 'Persian' style carpet seen in the background of photo 5 and I'm not at all sure if there is any evidence for 'Pompeian' style grain mills as seen in photo 6's background being found in Britain.

Despite that I may well take a look at this when I get the chance - if only to see what they have done a fondly remembered early read and radio programme ;)

Have we talked about the Ninth before in this Forum? They seem to have been quite busy around the Empire after their mysterious disappearence from Britannia. Though in fairness to Rosemary Sutcliff, these finds long post-date her excellent novel. I've also heard quite convincing arguments that they used Carlisle as a Legionary HQ.

Slightly off-topic but if you look up the Audiobook for The Eagle Of The Ninth on play.com, it has a really interesting picture on the cover.

A couple of relatively recent threads (in the last year or so) touching on the Eagle of the Ninth/ Ninth Legion (and sometimes what may really have happened to it) include:

online chat discussion of Eagle of the Ninth This is really a spin-off sub-discussion from the following

The Eagle of the Ninth book review

Centurion (2009 Film) Another recent film version of the story

I didnt check out the details for authentisity(sp??), but I did look at the pictures of the actors playing leads - Marcus and Esca. They don't look like I pictured them, so therefore they are not Marcus and Esca. This is why I can't read a book then see the movie.

Good news story.

I ordered "Lustrum" by Robert Harris on Audiobook from Amazon. When it arrived yesterday, it had a little voucher in it for a free audiobook from a company called Audible.co.uk. The catch, you had to set up an account (including your credit card details), download the book, and then cancel the account (if you wanted to, obviously). Failure to cancel the account would lead to them charging your card about

Here's the trailer to the film:

Eagle trailer (2011)

Billy Elliot(Jamie Bell)? Donald Sutherland could be interesting. The trailer is good, I'm very excited to see how the book is brought to screen. What was meant by "He's one of them"....do I need to read the book again? unless someone else doesn't want spoilers.

Let us know how you like the audio book.

Loved the shot of Hadrian's Wall stretching away over the Whin Sill. Awe inspiring!

What was meant by "He's one of them"....do I need to read the book again? unless someone else doesn't want spoilers.

Let us know how you like the audio book.

I do seem to remember that Esca was from north of the wall, though my memory is not at its best these days.

I very much enjoyed the audiobook, thanks Crispina.

By the way, only 99 days until the release date.

I'll tell you something else, as well. My memory is not at its best these days.

Wow, it's been so long since I read any of Sutcliff's books, but I remember them being great when I was in grade school. Looks like its time for a quick re-read before this comes out.

Thanks for the link Viggen! I noticed that this film will come out on my birthday, although I doubt I will go see it on that day. I'm a bit nervous about the fact that the film is centered on Channing Tatum, who I think isn't strong enough to carry a central role, although who knows I might be pleasently surprised by his portrayl of Marcus Aquila. The trailer doesn't give me much hope though.

The trailer does look pretty good. I doubt it will come to our theater, but one can hope. Do you think they will film the entire series? I mean, wouldn't they have to; or perhaps they'll squeeze everything into one movie. What about the family ring and the girl he leaves it with, hidden at the base of the tree? (I do have the right book don't I? :blink: )

Wow. That does look like a good movie. Kind of reminds me of Last of the Mohicans in a way. I will definitely look forward to this! (Along with the HBO Rome movie... which isn't being made by HBO LOL)