UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

The Eagle (Movie)

It will come to German cinemas on 3rd March (German title "Der Adler der Neunten Legion") and I will definitely go to the movies together with my boyfriend to watch it.

It will come to German cinemas on 3rd March (German title "Der Adler der Neunten Legion") and I will definitely go to the movies together with my boyfriend to watch it.

For all you folks in the US, Germany etc. (in fact, pretty much the whole world other than Portugal) who are getting this film before the UK, could I please implore you to keep reasonably tight-lipped until 1st April?

In return for your patience, I offer you a whole web-page chock-full of clips from the film.

For all you folks in the US, Germany etc. (in fact, pretty much the whole world other than Portugal) who are getting this film before the UK, could I please implore you to keep reasonably tight-lipped until 1st April?

In return for your patience, I offer you a whole web-page chock-full of clips from the film.

Ok, no spoilers until after April 1st. at least from me. :)

...to everyone that will watch the movie, please do tell us what you thought, just use the

spoiler function that you can find in the drop down menu in the editor

;)

so everyone wins... :)

cheers

viggen

...to everyone that will watch the movie, please do tell us what you thought, just use the

spoiler function that you can find in the drop down menu in the editor

;)

so everyone wins... :)

Cool gizmo!

I can't wait to go see this movie. IT'S ROMAN!!!!

J

...critics mean very often not much, time and time again, i enjoyed a movie that critics thought it sucked, bare in mind if you go to the theater, knowing what to expect (Hollywood), and if the acting is half decent you might have an enjoyable 120 minutes..

Whatever the critics say, I can only reiterate Julia's post and say . . .IT'S ROMAN!

Saw the Eagle last night and thought it was better than expected and better than reviewed in my local paper. I'm not really a big fan of fighting and violent movies so would probably not have gone to this movie if it wasn't set in Roman Britain.

It was definately better than The Centurion. I thought the acting was good. Donald Sutherland was better than he was in Pillars of the Earth.

The scenes of Scotland were amazing. I liked seeing the Roman house inside and out. There was just a quick view or two of Hadrian's Wall. I would have liked to have seen more. The Wall was treated (as in Sutcliff's book) like a defense that it wasn't safe to go beyond, which from everything I've read isn't really true.

I thought the Seal people looked too much like Mohawk Indians and didn't think they would always be covered in woad. There were other things I would have changed but I've probably said enough and don't want to add spoilers. I think most of the audience enjoyed it.

... it is doing ok at the Box office, 4th position with 8.59 million dollar for the weekend so far..

I've seen a few reviews and all of them have been positive so far. I've read a short synopsis of the film and it doesn't really fit into the themes of Rosemary Sutcliff's novel much. For instance one review said that Marcus and Esca never become friends (that's very different to the book - one of the main points of the story was the importance of friendship), while another notes the absence of female characters (where's Cottia?)