UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Eagle (Movie)

Viggen

Oh, so the original story did have a female character? Yeah. I was wondering about that.

Thanks.

Yep - can't remember her name, though. Probably another reason this character was left out was the ambiguous nature of Marcus Aquila's relationship with her. She was too young to be a 'love interest' (in a children's book and Hollywood film, if not in real-life Roman Britain), though their friendship seemed more than just that. My view only.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, so the original story did have a female character? Yeah. I was wondering about that.

Thanks.

Yep - can't remember her name, though. Probably another reason this character was left out was the ambiguous nature of Marcus Aquila's relationship with her. She was too young to be a 'love interest' (in a children's book and Hollywood film, if not in real-life Roman Britain), though their friendship seemed more than just that. My view only.

One of my favorite book series, but I had to go online for the answer - her name was Cottia.

[Yep - can't remember her name, though. Probably another reason this character was left out was the ambiguous nature of Marcus Aquila's relationship with her. She was too young to be a 'love interest' (in a children's book and Hollywood film, if not in real-life Roman Britain), though their friendship seemed more than just that. My view only.

Heh. That might have spiced up the movie for a bit.

I do believe the relationship became more than "just friends" at the end of the series. And didn't Aquila hide his father's ring by burying it at the bottom of a tree? as a symbol he'd be back to be with her or something like that? Now I'm interested in reading the books again. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe the relationship became more than "just friends" at the end of the series. And didn't Aquila hide his father's ring by burying it at the bottom of a tree? as a symbol he'd be back to be with her or something like that? Now I'm interested in reading the books again. :rolleyes:

I think you're right. I've heard that in the sequel - which I haven't read yet - that the main character is a descendant of Marcus Aquila and Cottia.

• 2 months later...

I think you're right. I've heard that in the sequel - which I haven't read yet - that the main character is a descendant of Marcus Aquila and Cottia.

The entire series feaures lineal descendents of Marcus and Cottia. These are:

Eagle of the Ninth

The Silver Branch

Frontier Wolf

The Lantern Bearers

Sword at Sunset

Dawn Wind

Throughout the entire series, the family ring with its flawed emerald is worn by the main characters.

• 3 months later...

At the begining didn't the guy say his unit was the IVth cohort of Gauls? (which was in Britain in 140 AD) Why did they have shields marked Legio II? Was he detached? promoted?

Which Legio was the IVth Cohort of Gauls part of?

I can see that I'm going to have to catch up with this film sometime but 'IVth Cohort of Gauls' sounds more like how an auxilliary unit might be named than a cohort from a legion.

'IVth Cohort of Gauls' sounds more like how an auxilliary unit might be named than a cohort from a legion.

Yep - makes sense.