UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

The Eagle (Movie)

It opened in the UK today- has anyone seen it yet?

Tonight's the night! Can't wait. I'm dragging Mrs. OfClayton along as well, so I'll also get the view of a 'lay person'. (Did that sound just a tad pejorative?)

Good! I can't wait to hear what you think of it Ghost. Where's that smiley eating popcorn emoticon when you need it?

Well, I've been to see it, and it most certainly gets the GhostOfClayton 'thumbs up'. Other than that, I'll withhold comment until everyone who's going to go and see it, has done so.

I've been to see The Eagle today and I thought it was really good, it's been a while since I've seen the Romans on the big screen.

I'm also glad that it stayed reasonably true to the book and I thought that Jamie Bell was excellent as Esca, he was just as I imagined him from the book.

I'm just wondering if they will go on to make "The Silver Branch" and "the Lantern Bearers" ?? I thought that the ending seemed to indicate that there was more to come?

I also watched it today and was pleasantly surprised and impressed. I can't comment on the accuracy of the uniforms, salutes and tactics etc (testudo), but the action and script were intelligent and aimed at an adult audience - not the usual Hollywood treatment of dumb audiences!

I did wonder about the veracity of the sea people's appearance (Picts?), and (SPOILER!) I thought that the way is clear for a follow up ;)

I did wonder about the veracity of the sea people's appearance (Picts?)

To paint yourself with dusty mud, and then wander around in the highlands of Scotland of all places . . . well, it wouldn't last very long is what I'm saying.

I did wonder about the veracity of the sea people's appearance (Picts?)

To paint yourself with dusty mud, and then wander around in the highlands of Scotland of all places . . . well, it wouldn't last very long is what I'm saying.

I'm venturing up to the highlands of Scotland in a couple of months to climb Ben Nevis, after watching The Eagle I'm thinking of leaving the hiking gear at home doing it starkers with just a bit of dusty mud to hide my dignity........ not that there'll be much "dignity" to hide with the temperatures up there!! :lol:

I believe that you get one 'phone call? :rolleyes:

To go back to a question asked way back on the thread - the film was renamed 'The Eagle' so that viewers wouldn't think it was a golfing movie. (I kid you not - I read that in an interview with Kevin MacDonald.)

I thought that the film was very good - esp in the first half an hour. The use of the testudo is not that controversial - Goldsworthy in his book the Complete Roman Army states that the formation was mainly used for defending men undermining a wall etc. He doesn't state exclusively, which leaves room in my writer's mind to have different uses for it.

I expected to dislike the American accents for the Romans, but I found that it worked really really well, accentuating the differences between the Romans and the Britons.

What I struggled with big time however, were the Seal People. They were laughable, in my mind. What would have been wrong with scary bare chested warriors with lime spiked hair? It would have been real too.

3.5-3.75 out of 5, but as another member said, "It's about Rome!" :-)

Sheesh - remember if you are slapping mud on your dignity - it will be COLD ! Your will lose your breath as well as your dignity!

Better go for a kilt and some woolen leggins.

Share some pictures when you get back, eh?

[i'm venturing up to the highlands of Scotland in a couple of months to climb Ben Nevis, after watching The Eagle I'm thinking of leaving the hiking gear at home doing it starkers with just a bit of dusty mud to hide my dignity........ not that there'll be much "dignity" to hide with the temperatures up there!! :lol:

In those immortal words "Brave decision ....". Have you seriously considered what umpteen million squadrons of midges would take that as?

To paraphrase Geoff Hamilton's classic skit referring to cabbage white butterflies and a field of brassica - an invitation to "Eat 'of' Gaius Paulinus Maximus'!" :)

For those who saw the movie and read the book - how much does the movie follow the book? I need to know this for an upcoming review. Thanks.

The movie removed at least one key character from the book, but in fairness had she been left in, they would have needed to add at least another hour.

The Seal People didn't exist as such in the book. The pair visited a number of tribes whilst North of the wall. Again, this was reduced to the one by necesity of time. Though why there seems to be this need for Hollywood to invent iron age tribes when there exists evidence for plenty of real ones to choose from!?!

Anyone else think of any more glaring omissions?

The movie removed at least one key character from the book, but in fairness had she been left in, they would have needed to add at least another hour.

Oh, so the original story did have a female character? Yeah. I was wondering about that.

Thanks.